Riviting News...

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Hi Gang,

I have been mostly kitbashing, but I am now attempting to scratchbuild.

I was looking for different methods for making straight rows of rivits.

I have come up with a method that you may find useful.

I used a basic word processor (M$ Notepad) and printed out rows and rows of colons ( ::::::::::::: )

I ran the paper through the printer twice. Once upside up and once upside down to get the printer to print twice on the same side of the paper. This gave me an interesting diamond design for the rivits.

I then taped the paper into place over thin sheet stock. In my case aluminum cut from popcans.

I use a finetip ballpoint pen and press it on alternating dots and by using the colons, I get neat straight lines of "rivits".

By using M$ Word or WordPerfect, you can use different fonts, sizes and italics to get different rivit spacing.

This method seems to work well for straight lines on flat sheet material.

I hope this information helps...

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Hey Ron -
If you had an even more basic word processor (aka a typewriter), could just print directly onto the sheet stock and skip the ballpoint pen part??:D

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Rivit machine

Originally posted by billk
Hey Ron -
If you had an even more basic word processor (aka a typewriter), could just print directly onto the sheet stock and skip the ballpoint pen part??:D

Hey Billk,

That's another idea.....

I read an article in RMC where a guy modified a sewing machine to punch rivits in sheet material....

Originally posted by rockislandmike
What is this typewriter you speak of??? :D

Big cludgy archaic thing-a-ma-jig that looks like an over sized keyboard with other strange mechanical devices attached. It sits on a desk and gathers dust. It ain't got no speeal chucker, grammatical looker upper or other modern contrivances... Just a book like thing that's called a dictionary, and a bottle of white liquid for hidin' yer mistakes with. ;)

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all

Mike R

Jan 18, 2002
Meaford Ontario Canada
Visit site
Everything old is new again...back in the 40's & 50's it seemed like every second issue of both MR and RMC,in their "kinks" or "tips" sections, recommended a dressmakers' tool or a clock/watch gear on-a-stick for making rivets. MR finally printed a note saying that wouldn't accept [and pay $1 for], any more of that same suggestion.
Nice to see it back.