Rivets

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by paul a, Apr 20, 2007.

1. paul a

paul a Member

I,m building 46rob,s t-33 in 1-1 scale for an RC project. is there a tool I can use to form rivets in the cardstock. it would not look good without them.As you can see. Thank you paula
  2. paul a

paul a Member

I,m building 46rob,s t-33 in 1-1 scale for an RC project. is there a tool I can use to form rivets in the cardstock. it would not look good without them.As you can see. Thank you paula
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I would press on it gently with a retractable ball point pen (without the pen sticking out just ot be clear) You would need to find one small enough though. There is also the option of picking up some brass tubing from a hobby store. Never done it myself but this seems like it should work.
    Chris
  4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I would press on it gently with a retractable ball point pen (without the pen sticking out just ot be clear) You would need to find one small enough though. There is also the option of picking up some brass tubing from a hobby store. Never done it myself but this seems like it should work.
    Chris
  5. paul a

paul a Member

Size is not to much of an issue the aircraft is 37 inches long.maybe the balpoint and some ink.
  6. paul a

paul a Member

Size is not to much of an issue the aircraft is 37 inches long.maybe the balpoint and some ink.
  7. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Check out the sewing section of a local store............craft or discount. Pick up one of those trace marking things they use to mark the pattern on the fabric.

If the spacing is not right/to scale you could remove/grind off some of the points. Then all you have to do is follow the panel lines.

Ummmmmmmm post some pictures of the build I know Rob and the rest of the DGA guys would be interested.

john
  8. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Check out the sewing section of a local store............craft or discount. Pick up one of those trace marking things they use to mark the pattern on the fabric.

If the spacing is not right/to scale you could remove/grind off some of the points. Then all you have to do is follow the panel lines.

Ummmmmmmm post some pictures of the build I know Rob and the rest of the DGA guys would be interested.

john
  9. paul a

paul a Member

thankyou the better half sews maybe she has one.do you use it from the front or back.I know rob would be interested I felt that when I asked his permission to use his design.
  10. paul a

paul a Member

thankyou the better half sews maybe she has one.do you use it from the front or back.I know rob would be interested I felt that when I asked his permission to use his design.
  11. rickstef

rickstef Guest

it is called a pounce wheel

and you use it on either side, front side would best
  12. rickstef

rickstef Guest

it is called a pounce wheel

and you use it on either side, front side would best
  13. paul a

paul a Member

Thank you I have to get one at michaels arts and crafts when I go to get some more alumium card stock this is going to eat alot of it.
  14. paul a

paul a Member

Thank you I have to get one at michaels arts and crafts when I go to get some more alumium card stock this is going to eat alot of it.
  15. 46rob

46rob Member

Remeber--the T-33 is flush riveted--so there shouldn't be any dips or bumps where the rivets are.
  16. 46rob

46rob Member

Remeber--the T-33 is flush riveted--so there shouldn't be any dips or bumps where the rivets are.
  17. charliec

charliec Active Member

I remember there was a build thread on a Ju-88 where the constructor used a ground down syringe needle to imprint the surface with circular indents to emulate flush rivets.

Most aircraft used low profile rivets so they would hardly be noticeable as a bump above the surface in 1/33 scale.

Regards.

Charlie
  18. charliec

charliec Active Member

I remember there was a build thread on a Ju-88 where the constructor used a ground down syringe needle to imprint the surface with circular indents to emulate flush rivets.

Most aircraft used low profile rivets so they would hardly be noticeable as a bump above the surface in 1/33 scale.

Regards.

Charlie
  19. paul a

paul a Member

thats why i think i,ll ink them in thank for the reminder. as a crewchief had to count the poped one allowed so many in a area.
  20. paul a

paul a Member

thats why i think i,ll ink them in thank for the reminder. as a crewchief had to count the poped one allowed so many in a area.