rivers

myltlpny

Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, VA
www.homesiteinc.com
I've had the best luck using paint, then following up with the Woodland Scenics liquid water. I start at the edges with a color that resembles the dirt from the region being modeled, then gradually getting darker to blue/ green (or whatever color the river your modeling is). After that dries I pour on the liquid water. Unfortunately, I don't have anything current I could post for you.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I made my river bed with joint compound spread out and then stippled with a sponge to make waves when it was still damp. I painted the dried joint compound a murky color and then applied several layers of acrylic gloss medium.
11-4-2007-13.jpg

Ralph

Oct 11, 2004
New York. Oneida
here are some pics of progress letme know what you think.

Attachments

• DSC01344.JPG
    DSC01344.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC01345.JPG
    DSC01345.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC01346.JPG
    DSC01346.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC01347.JPG
    DSC01347.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 6
Oct 11, 2004
New York. Oneida
well ralph i used craft paints iron oxide and mars black from wal mart and an enviroteck from thier craft dept. myltlpny as for adding a mix to the goop i did not even think of it:eek: perhaps some tips??? nudge nudge...

roch

Jan 1, 2008
Denver, CO
Looking good so far. :thumb:

Glad I found this thread. I am working on a river myself and was stumpted as to how to make it look like one.

Keep up the good work.

Roch

myltlpny

Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, VA
www.homesiteinc.com
well ralph i used craft paints iron oxide and mars black from wal mart and an enviroteck from thier craft dept. myltlpny as for adding a mix to the goop i did not even think of it:eek: perhaps some tips??? nudge nudge...
Not sure which "goop" you're using, but many times artist acrylics can be mixed in to add a bit of tint. Just a little bit goes a long way. You can pour it right over what you've done, it doesn't have to be very thick. You'll have to experiment on a paper plate with what paint your "goop" is compatible with. That's the beauty of doing scenery. You almost can't mess it up.

One of the best effects I've ever seen was done completely by accident. It was in one of the model railroading magazines from about 10 years ago. The author had painted his riverbed with artist acrylics, and poured his "goop" before the paint had time to set. It actually made the acrylics run as if it was sediment in a current. One of the best accidents I've ever seen.

Oct 11, 2004
New York. Oneida
here are somefinished photos of river??? i going to try myltlpny's idea then make a decision any how i do have a bridge in place and a foot walk.
then i got to do sceanery now. thanks for the support and kind comments

Attachments

• DSC01360.JPG
    DSC01360.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC01361.JPG
    DSC01361.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 7

rr9731's girl

Jan 2, 2007
Oneida, NY
Hello, I know this is my husband's post but hey, I gotta have my input on the pics too, seeing how i had part in the layout. I have been under the weather lately, i just got over tonsilitis 2 weeks ago and come to find out I have it AGAIN:(. I do as much as i can in helping him, I hope you like the pics, he did a great job and put ALOT of time into it.

Love ya honey