Rivarossi Steam Locos

jimnrose

Feb 1, 2001
Orleans Ma. USA
Visit site
Rivarossi's Hudson 4-6-4's are on sale but I have no idea if they are reliable
and good performers. My experience is with IHC & Bachman Spectrums. Any inouts wopuld be appreciated. Thanks, Jim

DeaconF

May 2, 2003
Owen Sound Ontario Canada
Visit site
Rivarossi

I have a beautiful Rivarossi Hudson on the way back to the man I bought it from. Not because of any problem with the product it just won't run on my layout. Apparently the motor gets power pick up on one side of the engine and the opposite side of the tender. Where this causes problems is where I have my block gaps set up. I didn't stagger the gaps. They are beside each other so there is a 4 inch or so lenth of track that breaks power to the engine. I didn't know that when I bought it so I have no problem in getting my money back. I will end up with a Bachmann or and IHC Hudson. IHC has a deal on that if you buy a Hudson you get a free 0-8-0 however I know you never get anything for free. Frank

wjstix

Nov 18, 2004
I think for DCC it's usually recommended that you change the loco's wiring so that it is picking up from both sides of the tender and loco if possible...and of course be sure the motor is isolated from the frame.

jimnrose

Feb 1, 2001
Orleans Ma. USA
Visit site
Thanks for the input. I haven't installed an auto-reverse module (yet) and from what you have told us, the first metal wheel that crosses the rail gap (where the polarities are reversed) generates the short and triggers the auto-reverse module to reverse the voltage on the receiving block.

wjstix

Nov 18, 2004
Back to the original question :) I've never owned a Rivarossi Hudson but I did see a streamlined NYC one running on a display layout at the Great American Train Show a year or two back, and I remember being impressed at it's smooth, steady and quiet running. Having a plastic boiler I would worry a little about how much it can pull, but seemed fine with I think 3-4 passenger cars on level track.

kchronister

Nov 1, 2004
Boiling Springs, PA
I bought one of the ones on sale (if you mean from Trainworld) and it's proved to be reliable, smooth and nice-running so far. Not the best puller in the lineup, but adequate.

I will say that I feel it varies in quality notably from my Rivarossi Heisler. The Heisler is much heavier, more detailed, simply a better piece of equipment (also 2x as much $$$, even on "super sale" pricing)...

Which is a long way of saying, I'm not sure one can make blanket statements about Rivarossi locos -- not with two models varying that much in overall build quality.