Rivarossi Allegheny

Kanawha

Apr 1, 2007
Glendale, AZ
Does anyone here own a Rivarossi 2-6-6-6 Allegheny? If so, are you happy with it? I'm looking to buy one and I'm wondering how the quality and detail level is and how it performs. I've used older Rivarossi engines before, they were always a little fickle. But I've heard they have improved significantly in the past few years since being acquired by Hornby. Is this true?

Thanks

Jan 15, 2007
Seattle, Washington
Ionno about being better now, but they are back in business. Hornby recently aquired Rivarossi; Rivarossi was actually dead for a while there.

I have a 4-8-8-4 from before Rivarossi went under and it runs well, though extremely loud due to an open frame motor. Of course, the newer ones will probably have better stuff anyways, so yeah...

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
I have a pair of the H8's. I ordered them, pre production, so they are among the first ones available.
They are definitely C&O versions, and quite accurately detailed. Rivarossi made some changes to their mechanisms, as a "reaction" to Bachmann's introduction of the Spectrum 2-8-0. The Big Boys, and Challengers were upgraded, and were much better runners than before. The same mechanical upgrades were used in the Allegheny's. They run better than the earlier Rivarossi products, but not as well as the LifeLike P2K Heritage, or the Bachmann Spectrum. The Rivarossi drive isn't as smooth in slower speeds.
I have a Soundtraxx Tsunami, heavy steam decoder, that I will be installing in one of my H8's.
I also have one of the improved Challengers (D&H). I was able to improve its performance by adding wheel wipers to the tender trucks, and got better electrical pickup.
All things considered, The Rivarossi Allegheny's are worth getting. I don't know if Hornby has made any improvements to the mechanism, but the originals ran well enough, and the detail is sweet.

Kanawha

Apr 1, 2007
Glendale, AZ
Thank you sumpter, I definitely love the Allegheny-types so I'm glad to hear that. I keep hearing more and more about the greatness of Spectrum engines, but in my experience they are weak pullers and noise runners, maybe I've only seen poor examples. Also, the Spectrum 4-8-2 Mountain had some significant scale issues, boiler too short, drivers too small, etc. I'm not convinced on them yet.

jr switch

Oct 11, 2006
northern Indiana
Can't say anything about the 2-6-6-6, but my new Rivarossi 4-6-4 is sweet. Reasonably good detail, very smooth runner, decent slow speeds and very smooth at all speeds. I'm real pleased with it. Wish Hornby/Rivarossi would come out with Mountains and Decapods.
On the Spectrums, it just seems to be the luck of the draw. My first 4-8-4 had a loud clicking noise, sent it back, they sent one that runs perfectly. Two out of three Decapods went back, the third runs great. My ten wheeler, Consolidation, two GP30's, and my new SD45 all work fine. Go figure---
I wonder if Bachmann sells enough that sheer weight of numbers determines that a fair amount of them will have problems. My 2-8-0 and Ten wheeler seem to be bullet proof. Just wish the 2-10-0's were as reliable--------John

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Those Alleghenys are really nice engines,although I think they're a tad overpriced,but it's not like there's anyone else making them in plastic so I'd overpay for one if I did C&O.

If they did a DM&IR Yellowstone I would want one and be willing to overpay a bit to get it.

Chris

jr switch

Oct 11, 2006
northern Indiana
Kanawha-------------where you going to get this from Micro-mark? They have it for $317 and Hobbylinc lists it at $379. The $317 was the best price I could find on it.
Iv'e purchased four or five engines from Micro-mark and they are a pleasure to buy from. Usually three to four day delivery.-------------John

Kanawha

Apr 1, 2007
Glendale, AZ
I was looking at Trainworld. They have the new run of Alleghenies for $315. I get most of my engines there. Never had a problem.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
If they did a DM&IR Yellowstone I would want one and be willing to overpay a bit to get it
Don't get me wrong, I really like the 2-6-6-6. It's one of my favorite steam locos,( second only to a tie between the B&O El3a, 2-8-8-0, and the Little River 2-4-4-2 ) but, the DM&IR 2-8-8-4 Yellowstone is also a powerful looking (and performing) locomotive. If it were released in plastic, competitive with what is out there now, I'd have to get one.
The question about Allegheny vs N&W "classA" will never be answered, I'd wonder how the Yellowstone would do against a Big Boy.......my bet would be on the Yellowstone.

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
If you look at the bottom of the link provided you will notice that the DM&IR actually had better tractive force then the Big Boy although it wasn't quite as big and heavy,it did have more weight over the drivers though...

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/yellowstone/

If I had to pick between the Big Boy and the Allegheny I think I'd pick the Allegheny,it just looks "meaner" if you can understand that.

Chris

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
If I had to pick between the Big Boy and the Allegheny I think I'd pick the Allegheny,it just looks "meaner" if you can understand that.

If you look at the Bigboy, and the Challenger (virtually identical skylines), the Challenger is the better looking (aestheticly).
The Allegheny is officially listed as 753,000 lbs. the "as delivered weight" was closer to 758,000 lbs. because of design changes throughout the building process. She weighs in, between the 772,000 lb. bigboy, and the 699,700 lb Yellowstone. The Allegheny parked 80,000 lbs., per driving axel!

Jan 15, 2007
Seattle, Washington
sumpter250 said:
She weighs in between the 772,000 lb. bigboy and the 699,700 lb Yellowstone.

HAH! Eat that! Big Boy RULES!

...*ahem*...

Anyways, yeah. Rivarossi makes some detailed stuff, but they don't run as well as Bachmanns and other high-quality locomotives.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
And my bet would be on the Big Boy.
HAH! Eat that! Big Boy RULES!
Weight wise, however......
Tractive effort:
Big boy, 4-8-8-4: 135,375 lbs.
M4 Yellowstone, 2-8-8-4: 140,000lbs. Could go either way.
Like the C&O 2-6-6-6, vs. N&W 2-6-6-4, the answer will probably never really be known. The locos in question would have to be coupled, back to back, to see which one would drag the other away, wheels spinning. The engine crews would have to swap for a second run, to eliminate the possibility of "skill" vs brute force. :D
sumpter, do you think they'd be willing to send me a kit to remotor my older Big Boy to run like these newer ones?
I don't know if a "kit" is made. Your best bet there is to contact the manufacturer, to see what can be done. If they have a kit, I'm sure they would sell you one. Any repowering I've ever done, has been with pieces (motors,universal drives, gears, etc.) selected to fit the project.

L

lester perry

I have 2 of the original ones

I have 2 of the oroginal ones from Walthers and love them. As far as the real ones are concerned they wieghed in at 1,197,400 LBS with tender. They had 7,498 HP @ the drawbar. From a standing start pulled 160 cars 14,083 tons to 19 MPH in one mile. They some times used a pusher to start them moving because of knuckle failure. Needless to say I like the H8.
Les

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Oh you know what I meant...
Yes, but I also know what "you said". Communication is only successful when the intended meaning of the sender is the percieved meaning of the reciever..............I was there once, long ago.

"Original" Rivarossi Allegheny made by "Walthers?"

No.

The original release by Rivarossi, was distributed by Walthers. When Rivarossi went up for sale, they gave Walthers a chance to buy, and Walthers declined the offer, so Hornby ended up buying Rivarossi out. As I understand it, Walthers also had the chance to buy Athearn, before Horizon Hobby did. I suspect that in both cases, there was too much "beancounting", and not enough instinct.

L

lester perry

sumpter250 said:
No.

The original release by Rivarossi, was distributed by Walthers. When Rivarossi went up for sale, they gave Walthers a chance to buy, and Walthers declined the offer, so Hornby ended up buying Rivarossi out. As I understand it, Walthers also had the chance to buy Athearn, before Horizon Hobby did. I suspect that in both cases, there was too much "beancounting", and not enough instinct.

I stand corrected. I thought that Walthers purchased Rivarossi. Or purchased the Allegheny from them.
Les

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
i was also looking at the rivarossi 2-6-6-6,i too model C&O and would LOVE to have one.those huge coal drags would look SOOOO good on my layout!and besides they look cool as heck,i beleive it is more pleasing to look at than a big boy,althoug the big boy was "bigger"--josh