Rhino problem

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by fimdan, Mar 18, 2007.

1. fimdan

fimdan Member

Ok, Rhino has been a docile beast so far but today I found something that I just don't know how to tackle. I wonder if you could help.

Look at the image below.
    I am trying to project the spiral pattern on the dome-like surface but as you can see I only get about half the lines to show up. I found one workaround that involves splitting the spiral into many pieces but this is too time consuming. I checked version 4 of rhino and there the projection works fine. I cannot use 4 yet because for some reason it refuses to open any file that contains background images.

Thanks for you help,

FimDan

Attached Files:

2. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

its need to be 2 full circle?
  3. fimdan

fimdan Member

Well, the end result should be a spiral pattern projected onto the dome. The problem is that in this case the spiral is not complete and also rather deformed.

FimDan
  4. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

u tray to use EDIT POINT command?
  5. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

How did you form the dome?

Tim
  6. fimdan

fimdan Member

I used surface->revolve. But I think I found the problem. The part I was working on was rather small so this problem was due to errors cause by high setting for relative and absolute tolerance in units settings. Lowering them helped. This is the result. Not perfect but definitely fixable.

Attached Files:

7. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Yes, I got a similar result in v4. a 40mm wide part worked fine, scaled it to 1% it still worked fine, scaled that one to 1%, (ie 1:10,000 of the original) and the projected spiral collapsed.

Well spotted with the tolerence thing. It might be better to work 'bigger', but which ever way, you found a solution.

Tim