Rheingold3D

Discussion in 'Software' started by Darwin, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Darwin

Darwin Member

While doing some surfing last night trying to find a free version of 3DWin, I ran across a modeling program called Rheingold3D, which incorporates the 3DWin file converter (one of the few converters that imports the old .iob Imagine files). The evaluation software comes as a combined file, with a stand-alone version of 3DWin as well as the Rheingold3D. After glancing through the 600 page manual (in very good English, not the Babelfish translation I was half expecting to encounter), I was impressed enough to plunge the extra 20 Euro for the modeler version (total 50 Euro). Now that I've committed the bank account, has anyone in the group used Rheingold? It looks as if it does all that we papermodelers would ask for (UV unwrapper, etc.). I was considering paying that much just for the file converter in order to regain access to my old Amiga 3D object collection....and considerably less than the commercial big-boy 3D programs. If interested in checking it out, go to

http.//www.tb-software.com

As an "oh-by-the-way," Daz3D has released Bryce 6 (until the 20th, anyway) at the near-giveaway price of $6 US to Platinum Club members. Even if you have to buy the membership to get it, still worth the investment...especially considering a new membership during October gives you enough free 3D content to keep you busy a couple of weeks downloading, even with fast internet connection (if you decide to take the plunge, bite the bullet for the extra $10 to have them burn CDs for you).
  2. Darwin

Darwin Member

While doing some surfing last night trying to find a free version of 3DWin, I ran across a modeling program called Rheingold3D, which incorporates the 3DWin file converter (one of the few converters that imports the old .iob Imagine files). The evaluation software comes as a combined file, with a stand-alone version of 3DWin as well as the Rheingold3D. After glancing through the 600 page manual (in very good English, not the Babelfish translation I was half expecting to encounter), I was impressed enough to plunge the extra 20 Euro for the modeler version (total 50 Euro). Now that I've committed the bank account, has anyone in the group used Rheingold? It looks as if it does all that we papermodelers would ask for (UV unwrapper, etc.). I was considering paying that much just for the file converter in order to regain access to my old Amiga 3D object collection....and considerably less than the commercial big-boy 3D programs. If interested in checking it out, go to

http.//www.tb-software.com

As an "oh-by-the-way," Daz3D has released Bryce 6 (until the 20th, anyway) at the near-giveaway price of $6 US to Platinum Club members. Even if you have to buy the membership to get it, still worth the investment...especially considering a new membership during October gives you enough free 3D content to keep you busy a couple of weeks downloading, even with fast internet connection (if you decide to take the plunge, bite the bullet for the extra $10 to have them burn CDs for you).
  3. Gil

Gil Active Member

Das Rheingold 3D

Darwin,

It's got a uv mapper which allows the surface to be mapped to a flat so you can export the file to a paint package. It still appears that you'll need something to do the physical unfolding like Pepakura. And no, I haven't tried this ware yet...,

-Gil
  4. Gil

Gil Active Member

Das Rheingold 3D

Darwin,

It's got a uv mapper which allows the surface to be mapped to a flat so you can export the file to a paint package. It still appears that you'll need something to do the physical unfolding like Pepakura. And no, I haven't tried this ware yet...,

-Gil