Rework of MM JU-87 Trop

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cjwalas, Jul 2, 2007.

1. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Yes, I know, it's another Stuka!wall1 Don't I ever learn?! I think it must have been all those childhood Sunday afternoons at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry staring up the last remaining intact JU-87B that gave me this obsession!
    At any rate, next on the growing roster of paper stukas is a redo of Maly Modelarz JU-87B. This is an earlier and much simpler kit than the MM JU-87G. Little detail, no interior. I built a scaled down version of this one earlier in the year as it was all I could do with a bad shoulder. But I like the kit and now that I'm a bit better, I thought it was time to build a 1/33 trop stuka to sit on the shelf with the other versions.
    The kit had some issues that I wanted to do something about. Number One on the list was the color. The kit's colors are too vibrant for me; here's the kit next to the slightly toned down version I did:

[​IMG][/IMG]

So I shifted the colors a little, printed it and then added a little airbrush weathering to take the edge off it. I added some rivets by hand with a pen. It printed lighter than I wanted, but not by much;
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    The second issue I had with the kit was that there was no cockpit interior, so I printed out one from a scan of a GPM kit. With that, I was on my way;
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Getting the cockpit to fit was a bit of surgery and I wound up using bits and pieces of several other kits for parts.
    The bulkheads on this kit are mostly too darn small, but with some fiddling, it can be gotten together;[​IMG][/IMG]
    More in a little while!
    Chris
  2. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

this is also one of my vavorite planes. doin a great job! you are absolutely right about the vibrant colors. your toned down colors look spot on! lookin forward to the rest!
  3. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

[​IMG][/IMG]
    This photo also shows one of my other issues with the kit; other than the German crosses, there are no markings at all on it. My aim was to bash this kit to a level that it could sit beside better kits and hold its own.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    There are a number of parts that need to be scratchbuilt on this one; antenna, aileron hinges, tail wings supports, etc., but the real issues with the kit are the usual MM misfit pieces. The wing bulkhead pieces wound up a full 1/4" apart and I had to cut connecting pieces out of wood. Other than that, the wings formed well. This kit has a lot of good things going for it as well as a lot of not so good things.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    The underside needed detail desperately. The heavy bomb is part MM and part GPM pieces. The smaller bombs and cradles are GPM. So are the aileron hinges and counterweights and the steps. The main bomb sling is MM with a GPM crosspiece section. This really turned into a kitbash fast!:mrgreen:
    The placement of the smaller bombs is off because the Cross is in the wrong place, but I don't think it's too noticable. The added detail really helps a lot with this kit.
    Chris
  4. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

[​IMG][/IMG]
    The wheel pants and especially the spats took quite a while. They're a bit unwieldy, but they do come together. Unfortunately, I made the wheels too wide and so everything is little skewed, but not too bad, IMHO:oops:
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    The canopy in the kit is solid and has a card frame to bolster it, so I knew this would be a challenge. I made the machine gun bubble by heating some blisterpack material and stretching it over a ball. This is the first time I attempted it and it worked quite well.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    The canopy of the stuka is always fun. wall1 Most of it is fine, but the back half never seems to come out right! I will say that this is probably the best canopy I've done so far, so at least I'm learning a little bit as I go!:thumb:
    Chris
  5. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Well, boys and girls, here she is FINISHED!
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]
    The machine gun and prop blades are GPM.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    I recolored the nose cone, painted the props.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    And I think the markings really make a difference on this one as well. My thanks to Doug for making the swastika available!
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    I also think the underside can now feel comfortable alongside the GPM and Answer Stukas!:thumb:
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    This canopy has a design problem or two, but only minor ones. I think this is the first Stuka I've done that you can actually see something in the cockpit!
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Another shot where the added detail underwing helps!
    And lastly, a quick reminder.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Here's the redo next to the earlier version. I feel good that I addressed my major concerns; the color, the cockpit and canopy, and the markings. I'm allowing myself a tiny pat on the back for helping this kit upgrade a little!:mrgreen:
    Chris
  6. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Dude! Awesome rework!
  7. Clashster

Clashster Member

Chris - great job! the first finish picture I thought was a posting of the real plane - awesome view point! Nice job with the canopy - they always seem to be my downfall (several projects stopped there!). So what is the next Stuka?

Chris
  8. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Well, let's see, what's left? I've got the Fly 87B; which I'm excited about as it's the only 87B kit in just green (and good color); The GPM D-3 which looks like a simply great kit, the GPM 1/24 87B(which I'll resize to 1:33), this one is as well colored and weathered as the D-3. Then there's the earlier GPM 87B Trop (I've attempted a recolor on this one, but only succeeded in changing the orange to yellow instead of tan!:cry:). But I have this one printed out already. Plus a recolor on a Fiddler's Green. Hmmm, any suggestions, Chris?:wink:
    Chris
  9. alaimo@jcu.edu

alaimo@jcu.edu I need a Pin up girl. . .

fantastic work, I am reworking a fg stucka too...any suggestions or sharing intrest?
  10. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

Chris

you deserve a big pat on the back and hearty well done.

Jim Nunn
  11. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Excellent job. Very impressive! :thumb:
  12. Dragos

Dragos Active Member

I'm very impressed. I also want to build one day this Stuka but a repainted version :thumb:
  13. Dragos

Dragos Active Member

[​IMG]

As you can see I still have a lot of work to do...:twisted:
  14. chapuzas100

chapuzas100 Member

Great work, is impressive, I am going to follow your future projects.

A greeting.
  15. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Dragos,
    I really like your idea of recoloring this model. Are you thinking of the straight green or the two-tone splinter green scheme? I'd love to see either one!
    Alaimo,
    All I did on my FG was to darken the existing greens, but it really helps make it look more realistic. I don't understand why everyone (almost) seems to get the colors so wrong when there is so much information available.
    Thanks everyone for the kind words. I really do appreciate it. This is the first sort of kitbash I've done in paper and I really enjoyed it. Much more so than simply building a kit straight from the printer (although I like that, too!).
    Chris
  16. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

That's a fantastic looking build, Chris! :cool:
    The coloring looks much more realistic than it's predecessor! I especially like the slightly weathered look to it!
    I think your canopy looks great also, especially since it is homemade!

An altogether great job! I can't wait to see the next one! :twisted:

Russell
  17. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I'm Totally impressed.

You took a plain Modelarz kit and finished it like a newer GPM kit.

I really do like the canopy finish. Great idea on the MG bubble. It's things like that which are great examples on how to take details up to the next level.

Thanks!
  18. Dragos

Dragos Active Member

Hello cjwalas !
    My intention is to make my Stuka look like this:

[​IMG]

This is a plastic model is true, but I like a lot the scheme. Still I don't they are going to be indentics.
  19. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Dragos;
    Cool idea! I've seen 87Ds in Rumanian markings before, but I don't think I've seen any of the B2s in that scheme. That should look great!
    Chris
  20. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

You can also do Dr. Zarkov's when they come out!