rewire an armiture

tonyevans

Dec 17, 2005
I want to have a go at rewiring an N gauge 3 segment armature. can any one help with a diagram of the windings. PLEASE

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Wow!..Thats quite an undertaking.
Never even really thought about rewinding an armature. I just replace the motor.
Wish you the best of luck. Would like to hear your results though.

toolman

Mar 23, 2005
east brunswick nj
Armature rewinding

Use a low wattage soldering iron.... 15 watter. Check radio shack or an electronic supply or micromark.
Slotcars are my other hobby.
There is a slotcar forum and there are a few slotcar motor rebuilders that may give you some more help www.oldweirdherald.com
I do rebuild my slotcar motors.
There is a forum site for slot cars
Find out what size armature wire on that arm.
Do plan to rebuild this motor?
If so, remember how the magnets are installed.
Care in pulling the pinoin gear of and how afr on the shaft its on.
Remember what side each of the comm brushes came off. Good time to check them, if look poor, replace them.
The part that the brushes fit into are called the hoods. Make sure they are not loose or look out of alignment.

The arm, best to see how the winds unwrap to determine on they are winded on.
The spacers, remember how many on each side of the stack, stack is the segments that the wire wind around. Also check for play, too much not good, too tight no good also.
The arm should center within the magnets.
Check the commutator on the arm that there is no movement. After rewinding assembly and get the motor to run, put a drop of acc between the winds and the comm.
Before winding, check the comm for roughness, burr marks, can use either ultra fine sanding paper or very soft pink eraser, spin the arm in a drill low speed and polish the arm comm.

Once you get the motor back together and working, break in at about 3 - 4 volts dc or low speed, not too low and not too fast for about 10 - 15 minutes.
Lightly lube at the bearings.... a drop.
I hope this will help you on rewinding.

tonyevans

Dec 17, 2005
eightyeightfan1 said:
Wow!..Thats quite an undertaking.
Never even really thought about rewinding an armature. I just replace the motor.
Wish you the best of luck. Would like to hear your results though.
Well I spent 8 Hrs. and failed :eek:ops: too many small bits ,and its hard working through a magnifying glass all day. still it was fun .Any ideas where I can get motors for these two little rascals please. and is the cost ?? worth renewing just the motor
locoshells7dk.jpg

tonyevans

Dec 17, 2005
Cor !! I carnt find anyboby or anywhere that sell's n gauge shassey /motor spares.so I have managed to rewind a motor after all. after trying differant methods i finaly came up with this .and did it Without a magnifying glas ,whitch was a lot easyer on the eyes
windingnedel4lv.jpg