Reverse Weathering

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by 2-8-2, Nov 15, 2006.

1. 2-8-2

2-8-2 Member

Catchy, eh? I don't know what else to call what I do. Instead of putting paint on to weather, I take it off. I don't know why I do it that way, it just feels easier for me. I've talked about it before in a few posts, but this time I took some step-by-step pics of how I achieve my madness.

I recently purchased the Interstate Fuel & Oil structure for my N scale layout. The weathering I'll show here is on the tanks.

1) Here is a plain painted tank, with no weathering. For the 3 horizontal tanks, I elected to paint them an off-grey color, and the 2 vertical tanks are galvanized. Given the position of these tanks, they will have considerably more weathering.

[​IMG]

2) First, I gave the whole piece a light coating of Floquil Rail Brown, using a short bristled brush. There's no need to be pretty here, just slop on some paint, and get about 75% coverage.

[​IMG]

3) Using paint thinner, I smooth out this coat of paint...leaving behind a thin, nearly even coating of what looks like general dirt and grime. I don't use a lot of thinner, in fact, it's almost dry brushed on. If you try my technique, you don't want to see the surface wet with thinner. That's too much, and you'll just scrub all the paint off. In this next pic, you can see how smooth the finish is now:

[​IMG]

4) Next, I drybrush on some Floquil Rust color around the seams in the metal. Again, this doesn't have to be pretty or precise.

[​IMG]

5) Next, a drybrushed coating of Floquil Grimy Black covers the whole piece. At this point, it should look like you just ruined the whole thing! Have faith...you'll be taking most of this off with thinner. The black is to tone down the other colors, and give it a more rusty/grimy appearance.

[​IMG]

6) Again, drybrush some thinner. The idea at this point is to work the paint into the seams in the metal, creating shadows. I kept my brush in the center, between the seams, and worked my way around. First using circular scrubbing brush strokes, then lightly dusting the area with horizontal strokes. Here is the finished product:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. 2-8-2

2-8-2 Member

Click the image to get a full-sized view of the project tank compared to a weathered galvanized tank:

[​IMG]
  3. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

You're right...it sure works for you! The results are really good! I might give that a try on some structures and cars.
  4. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

It looks great and thanks for the step-by-step:D :D :D :D

This new forum is great:thumb: :thumb:
  5. 2-8-2

2-8-2 Member

Here's the main building to go along with those tanks. This is my first (almost) completed structure...it's just missing the steps to the dock, and a couple vents for the roof. Both are still being painted right now.

The main building was painted with acrylic, and dry brushed on in 2 coats. Next went on a drybrushed coating of Floquil rust, followed by Grimy Black. The windows and door got a coat of Floquil Antique White, with a light dusting of Grimy Black. The garage doors are Floquil Shiny Silver, and got the same weathering treatment. I used a spray can of Rustoleum for the roof, and toned down the metallic look with a drybrush treatment of thinner before giving it some reverse weathering.

The loading dock was a bit tricky. I've never painted plastic to look like wood before, and these pieces are extremely small (N scale) and delicate. I started with a base coat of Polly Scale Lt. Freight Car Red, and gently added a coating of Antique White and Grimy Black to tone it down. More Grimy Black was added to show a pathway of wear to the front door.

I'm extremely happy with this, especially since it's the furthest I've gotten on a structure. I wanted this building to look like it had seen better days, and I think I've accomplished that. Once this kit is complete, it will be the new home of Mackenzie Oil.

[​IMG]
  6. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

That looks good!!! And by the way, the county building inspector called and said that building has indeed better days and isn't up to standards for his county. He suggested it be shipped far away from Ohio...like Charlotte maybe. :thumb:
  7. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

VERY NICE EFFECT!!!:thumb: I LIKE IT!!!:thumb: i am going to have to try reverse weathering;). THANKS!:D -Deano
  8. viperman

viperman Active Member

A different approach, that seems to work very well! I like!
  9. 2-8-2

2-8-2 Member

My latest boxcar...

[​IMG]

I was having some lighting issues, so hopefully I can upload a better pic soon.
  10. brakie

brakie Active Member

2-8-2,Great work!:thumb: Thanks for sharing.
  11. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

Cool technique, I like it. :)
  12. Thoroughbreed

Thoroughbreed Member

You know, that makes alot of sense to do it that way, less paint on the item to show more detail. Great job!!!!
  13. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

2-8-2:wave:, VERY NICE!:thumb: i really liked the doors, and just under them:thumb:. keep 'em coming!:D -Deano
  14. 2-8-2

2-8-2 Member

As promised...

I had some good afternoon lighting coming in through the patio doors, so I snapped a couple more shots of the N scale DT&I boxcar. Here's an overall side shot:

[​IMG]

And the detailing of the doors:

[​IMG]
  15. Nazgul

Nazgul Active Member

2-8-2
    That is some very nice work:thumb: excellent results!!!
    I'll try your technique when I get around to weathering my meager:cry: collection of rolling stock and structures:D
  16. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

Ok you cheated, that's a real one right? Sheesh, you guys are too much sometimes.
    Fantastic job there 2-8-2.
    {psst, you have a name? Just wondering:)]

Hey Steve, I have 2 locos and that's it, so don't feel bad about a meager rolling stock collection LOL.
  17. 2-8-2

2-8-2 Member

Yep, I have a name, it's Tony. And no, I'm not Italian. I've heard that one too much over the years.

As for the real one...here's the pic I used for reference:

[​IMG]

Art imitates life, so it makes sense to me to have plenty of reference material on hand.
  18. cmhockman78

cmhockman78 New Member

this is my first attempt at weathering, practice makes perfect
    and looks like i need to practice

[​IMG]
  19. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Great Stuff Everyone.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  20. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

Well Tony, that is a great job. The real one looks fake LOL :p

cmhockman, at least you are willing to try. I have rarely weatherd a loco [building yes, loco no]. Personally I think you did well. :)