Reverse lights for your locomotives

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Re: No RS catalog!

Originally posted by kf4jqd
RS for treating their main customers like poop!

IMHO: They always have, their salesmen don't know their (_!_)'es from a hole in the ground, and they charge 10X to 100X for the same parts compared to prices at a reputable electronics distributor. They might seem cheap compared to certain items at the LHS, but they think nothing of dropping a couple of penny resistors in a blister pack and charging you a couple of bucks for it. Go hamsters go!

tomfassett

Oct 15, 2002
Chandler, AZ
www.trainweb.org
In defense of Radio Shack (I love playing Devil's advocate)...:D

1. The sales people at Radio Shack are the product of their environment. What else are you going to get for just over minimum wage? Anyone with concrete knowledge gets a better job somewhere else. Most of the technicians I know in the electronics field had a job at Radio Shack when they were young.
2. Where else are you going to find a 10K potentionmeter at 7 PM in Dog Holler, Iowa? The convenience drives up the price. I just grit my teeth and hand over the money, knowing I have little chance of finding the blasted thing elsewhere. I do a lot of "on the road" repair and technical support for computers and electronics and there are times when I am close to kissing the RS salesperson when I am desperate and find an open Radio Shack. There were times where I would have had to cancel my flight home and wait for the next day to chase down a 50 cent part. I also would have had to explain to an irate business owner why their system was not running when they came in for work.

Are the prices high? You bet... To me they are brutal, because I buy parts from wholesalers at work. Are the sales people electronics ignorant? For the most part--yes... But you won't find a BSEE working for minimum wage unless he has been fired from every other job for incompetence. Will I continue buying at Radio Shack? Yes sir, until something better comes along and offers the same kind of convenience...:D

Tom F

Drew Toner

Mar 2, 2002
McLennan, Alberta, Canada.
Visit site
Bridge Rectifiers

LV Dave,

would I use the RS 276-1181, 276-1173 or 276-1146? Also, I plan on fitting this and 3mm LED's into my Athearn SW1200.

Do you, or any body else, have a schematic of how this constant/directional lighting might all fit together?

Thanks, Drew

Ravensfan

Oct 16, 2002
planet earth
Visit site
Originally posted by tomfassett
In defense of Radio Shack (I love playing Devil's advocate)...:D

That was more of an excuse, not a defense.;) Personally, I would like to purchase items there, but they don't even have what they advertise. Case in point - I wanted to get an additional battery for my cell phone responding to their radio ads all over the place about them having batteries for everything. Well, they didn't have one for my phone. I don't have a problem with the sales reps, because they can't help it if the stores are not stocked properly and they are the bottom of the barrel.

On another note, this discussion is very interesting. I don't even have a train set yet and I am already thinking about diodes and LEDs and putting extra lights on trains.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
TF - I think most of us will join you in buying there, out of last resort desperation, but not with the grin you bear :D :mad: :D :mad: :rolleyes: RS does fill a need, or they wouldn't be there. I don't think you should be kissing on strange store clerks. They MUST get more than min. wage if they have to put up with that! :D :D :D

Raven - That's half the fun, dreamin it all up!

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
While we are on the subject of electronics does anyone know of a site where I could download (for free) a font or even a program that will draw schematics?