Revell Diesel/Locos?

RobertInOntario

I have a Canadian Pacific diesel that I remember my Dad & I running in the mid-1960s. In fact, I have some pics of he & I running it in 1964 when I was only 4! I still have and use this loco and it's in good condition.

It's made by Revell and I can only guess that it was produced in the early-1960s. It runs fairly well, although it's a bit noisy and not so smooth at low speeds. It also uses up a lot of juice (I have to have the transformer turned up 1/2 to 3/4 of the way). I added some Wahl oil (see the Wahl oil thread!) and that improved its performance noticeably. Its detailing isn't bad (but obviously not as good as today's products).

Just wondering if anyone knows any details about these locos, i.e. Revell products in general, their quality, what they're comparable to, when they were made, etc. Thanks!

Rob

AndyWS

Isn't this a coincidence. I bought just such an engine at a flea market less than a week ago.

09-02-06_New_Aquisitions_3.jpg

It is a model of a Canadian Pacific EMD F7 by Revell. It seems to be a rather old design, with traction tires on the wheels and no flywheels on the motor. The driveshaft to the front truck is exposed at the bottom, and occupies the space where the locomotive's fuel tank would be. Is this how yours is built?

I don't know much about Revell model trains, they're mainly a plastic model kit company. I doubt they remained in the powered HO business for long.

RobertInOntario

Thanks, Andy. Based on your picture & description, your loco appears to be exactly the same as mine. Yes, the driveshaft to the front truck is exposed and clearly seen on the bottom.

So what's your opinion of it, in terms of quality, detail, realism & operation? I hadn't run mine for a while, since it was so noisy and rough. After I lubricated it, though, I was suprised & pleased with its performance. I enjoyed running it last night.

I really like the old CP colors, not to mention the memories.

Thanks again, Rob

AndyWS

I haven't had much time to tinker with the locomotive before leaving for college this past Sunday, leaving my layout and all rolling stock behind. :( My initial opinion was that it runs very badly. The motor makes a loud "RRRRRRRRNNNNNNNGGGHHHH!!!!!!!" sound and requires power to be applied most of the way before the engine will start moving. Then it jerks forward a few inches and either stalls and has to be nudged by hand, or the front truck derails.

I think something is maladjusted in the way the locomotive is put together, because the shell/carbody also leans at a good angle off-center from the rails, sometimes so much so that it lifts the wheels on one side OFF the rails.

I won't be able to tinker with it until getting back from school, but besides whatever adjustment it needs to correct that, the mechanism will need a good cleaning and lubrication and perhaps that will get it to run better. It will also need "glass" for the cab windows and road numbers painted on (one unnumbered loco per road is acceptable, but not two). Swapping out the couplers for Kadee ones is also going to be a challenge to do it in such a way that the couplers do not stick out rediculously far from the body, leaving a gigantic space between the locomotive and the following car.

brakie

Guys,If I may..Revell also made a SW7 that looks similar Varneys SW7..:D
Thanks for sharing this..It brings back a lot of memories.:D

RobertInOntario

AndyWS said:
I haven't had much time to tinker with the locomotive before leaving for college this past Sunday, leaving my layout and all rolling stock behind. :( My initial opinion was that it runs very badly. The motor makes a lound "RRRRRRRRNNNNNNNGGGHHHH!!!!!!!" sound and requires power to be applied most of the way before the engine will start moving. Then it jerks forward a few inches and either stalls and has to be nudged by hand, or the front truck derails.
I think something is maladjusted in the way the locomotive is put together, because the shell/carbody also leans at a good angle off-center from the rails, sometimes so much so that it lifts the wheels on one side OFF the rails.
I won't be able to tinker with it until getting back at from school, but besides whatever adjustment it needs to correct that, the mechanism will need a good cleaning and lubrication and perhaps that will get it to run better. It will also need "glass" for the cab windows and road numbers painted on (one unnumbered loco per road is acceptable, but not two). Swapping out the couplers for Kadee ones is also going to be a challenge to do it in such a way that the couplers do not stick out rediculously far from the body, leaving a gigantic space between the locomotive and the following car.

Thanks, Andy. I certainly agree regarding the loud noise (the Wahl oil seemed to help) and about its needing lots of power, sometimes full throttle. Mine does not lean off angle though. I might get it checked out at a LHS. Cheers, Rob

Russ Bellinis

A lot of Revell's stuff was shared by other manfacturers. I think they were basically toy trains made to be cheap enough to compete with Tyco, Lifelike, Model Power, & Bachmann. They were not nearly as good as Athearn. As a collector's item, it has no monetary value, as your collector's item from childhood with memories of you and your dad, it is priceless!

Pooh Bah
For an RTR train of the early 60s, Revel was probably as good as anything else. What has remained are the plastic buildings. They were bashed into many variations (the engine shed became a bakery and was then sold that way.) I think some of them are still on the market.

RobertInOntario

Russ Bellinis said:
A lot of Revell's stuff was shared by other manfacturers. I think they were basically toy trains made to be cheap enough to compete with Tyco, Lifelike, Model Power, & Bachmann. They were not nearly as good as Athearn. As a collector's item, it has no monetary value, as your collector's item from childhood with memories of you and your dad, it is priceless!

Thanks, Russ. That makes sense with regards to its quality and that they were competing with Tyco, etc. I definitely plan to keep it because of the memories. I also have a British Hornby Dublo Tank engine that I also remember my Dad & I running together, and this loco is in good condition and runs very well! Cheers, Rob

RobertInOntario

60103 said:
For an RTR train of the early 60s, Revel was probably as good as anything else. What has remained are the plastic buildings. They were bashed into many variations (the engine shed became a bakery and was then sold that way.) I think some of them are still on the market.

Thanks, David. It seems, then, that it was an economical loco of the time, and not bad for its day. But with age, and compared to what's on offer today, it's not really that great. Actually, I wouldn't mind getting a brand new Bachmann (or Proto or similar brand) of the same CP diesel loco.

Thanks again, Rob

Russ Bellinis

RobertInOntario said:
Actually, I wouldn't mind getting a brand new Bachmann (or Proto or similar brand) of the same CP diesel loco.

Thanks again, Rob

I don't know if Bachmann offers their f-7 in that CP scheme. I think Athearn probably offers it in both their standard line as well as the Genesis F units. I doubt if you'll see it in Proto, kato, Atlas (except for possibly a fp version) because so many f-7s and 9s have been offered by everybody over the years. It may also be available in the Intermountain f-7, which is comparable to the Athearn Genesis.

steamhead

Hi guys!!
I think I've got a similar loco (actually A & B units - B is unpowered) but in B&O colors. Is the rear truck gear driven off the motor with the shaft (nylon) going to the front truck?? It was never much of a runner so I took it apart way baaaaaaaack then, and has been sitting like that more or less these past 40 (gulp...!) years. Might be a fun project to get it running (??) again.

Gus (LC&P).

Andy...Sorry 'bout them Packers...:cry: I'm a fan too...

RobertInOntario

steamhead said:
Hi guys!!
I think I've got a similar loco (actually A & B units - B is unpowered) but in B&O colors. Is the rear truck gear driven off the motor with the shaft (nylon) going to the front truck?? It was never much of a runner so I took it apart way baaaaaaaack then, and has been sitting like that more or less these past 40 (gulp...!) years. Might be a fun project to get it running (??) again.

Gus (LC&P).

Andy...Sorry 'bout them Packers...:cry: I'm a fan too...

Thanks for your note, Gus. Yes, I believe mine is the same, with the rear truck gear being driven off the motor with the shaft going to the front truck. It sounds very similar. Mine too does not run very well -- noisy, not that smooth, and doesn't run too well at low speeds. I guess it has more sentimental value that anything, since it's been in the family for 40-45 years. Some day I wouldn't mind getting the same loco but made by a quality, present-day manufacturer. Rob

AndyWS

Yeah, the mechanism you described sounds accurate. I agree it is not much of a runner and doubt it was even in its prime. However, I did just happen to find and download a MSTS version of this very locomotive. Now I have a prototypical road number to assign to it!

scrgrb1.jpg

Thanks for the comisserations about the Packers...I have a feeling it's gonna be a long season...even worse than the last one if that's even possible. I can't help but wonder who took away my perrenial playoff contenders and replaced them with this bunch of inept football players dressed in Packer uniforms?

Pooh Bah
Robert: you might find a custom paint job or limited run version in one of the local hobby shops. Suggest George's, Credit Valley or Modeller's Choice in Hamilton. MC does quite a range of TH&B locos.

RobertInOntario

60103 said:
Robert: you might find a custom paint job or limited run version in one of the local hobby shops. Suggest George's, Credit Valley or Modeller's Choice in Hamilton. MC does quite a range of TH&B locos.

Thanks, David. I'll check out those hobby shops. I'm due for a visit to George's. I'm not in a rush but I do like the older CP colour scheme/livery and that loco (F7). Cheers, Rob