Returning to the hobby.

GeorgeHO

Hi, Your layout looks great. It's fantastic that you can get such a long run in a relatively small room. Great design ideas.
The reference for the turntable was just to point out that you had a 9" in the plan, and were talking about a 22" and that I thought it would be too large for your plan and using the squares concept you could see the problems with it.
Your 484 will be fine on the layout because of the long run you have planned, maybe a thru freight while you do switching with smaller engines.

webmaster

Thanks George. I know what you mean about the 22" turntable, I did think about putting it in the cupboard, but then it wouldn't be seen unless you right in that area. I think I'm going to go with how it is, unless anyone else can come up with anything better for me?
You know the old modeling saying 'If it looks right, it is right' and it looks right to me.
I can't wait to get started on it.:D

webmaster said:
Hi Squirrel,

I don't have that library? I only have the following libraries:
Atlas HO Code 83 Track
Atlas HO Code 100 Track
Atlas HO Structures
DPM HO Structures
Life-Like HO Structures
RDA HO Structures
Walthers Cornerstone HO Structures

Is it possible for you to e-mail me that library?

the turntable is in that library

webmaster

Nope, the only circular Walther products I have is, Sawmill (Sawdust burner), 500000 gal storage tank and a 575000 storage tank. :cry:

GeorgeHO

Good luck with your layout, keep us posted as you go along. I'm certain that many of the members who have built shelf layouts and multi-level layouts can give you good advice.
You said you like to cut and fit the track in place as you go along, which is what I do. Do yourself a favor and buy a few Peco curved switches which I think will fit perfectly in many parts of your layout. They are made on your side of the pond, and I think they are great. As you use them up while laying track, you can always buy more, and you should be able to buy them cheaper than we can.

webmaster

GeorgeHO said:
Good luck with your layout, keep us posted as you go along.

I certainly will George, on both Coyote Plains, my HO & Yo-Yo my new On30 layout. I have really got hooked on this forum and have got some great ideas from it's members. I love the way the members do the stage by stage photos, it's really good to see something come together from just an idea, no matter who's it is.

For as long as I can remember I have always used Peco track. In 'N', '009', 'On30' and now in HO. I personally have never had a problem with their switches/points in any scale that I have modeled.

Although they are made here, you have to bear in mind the cost of living difference. A typical switch/turnout/set of points from Peco costs £7.50 GBP each, which is $13.10 US. I don't know how much you pay for them there?

GeorgeHO

Over here I pay $8.00 for Atlas turnouts at M.B.Kleins, but they are $12 to $18 at other stores. The Peco I get from Kleins are usually $16 to $18. I would guess that Peco is cheaper in UK than Atlas?

webmaster

I can't answer that George. I did a UK Google search and all I could find available in the UK other that Peco track was Roco track which I believe is Austrian.