Return of the Albatross d-v.

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by dfarrell, Mar 9, 2007.

1. dfarrell

dfarrell Member

I am having another go at this guy, after my last attempt turned into a major banana. This is the d-V by Modelik. Here is how far I got last night. There isn't much structure inside the fuselage, so keeping all the sections lined up is a bit of a pain, but now that I am older and wiser from my last attempt, I think I know what to watch for.

Attached Files:

2. dfarrell

dfarrell Member

Here is another view

Attached Files:

3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

No banana today! Looks great and I love the coloring on this one, great textures!
    Is this kit typical of a lot of their kits, in that the cover looks nothing like the model, as far as the coloring is concerned?
    I was wondering because I do not recall seeing this one before.
    Great job so far, keep up the nice work! I will enjoy watching your thread!

Russell
  4. Texman

Texman Guest

Yes, we have no bananas, we have no bananas today! Glad to see you
    picked it back up.

Ray
  5. dfarrell

dfarrell Member

Hey Russell,
    I can't say anything about their other kits, because I haven't built any. In fact this is only the third printed kit I have tried. Everything else I've done has been off the net. I do like the colors, but the paper is very glossy, and the glue dosen't like to stick to it. The pictures don't show it real well but the fuselage is bright red behind the cockpit. It also has a green section too, but I haven't made it there yet. There are 14 sections that make up the fuselage and some of them are less than 1/2 " wide, so there is lots of opportunity to introduce some error along the way. That being said, once the body is finished, the rest should be easy bi-plane stuff!:twisted: Here is how it looks now:

Attached Files:

6. dfarrell

dfarrell Member

And here is the flower 'cause it's purty

Attached Files:

7. Gil

Gil Active Member

Major banana..., left me laughing. Don't you hate it when you come to your senses in a build and realize that something major has been overlooked, like a straight fuselage. Gotten so tied up in the details like not smearing glue over the thing small things like this can easily be overlooked till it's too late to do anything about other than a gently tossed swan dive into the dust bin...,

Don't worry, though, there's still major lurks to come. Old WWI biplanes are full of lurkwonder, which is what happens when you discover that you got the current seam perfect but for some reason the structure is now permanently disfigured. This leaves you wondering why you didn't see this lurking in the build before you went and permanently botched it together all by yourself..., leaving you to ponder your own particular flavor of lurkwonder...,

-Gil
  8. Clashster

Clashster Member

Great restart! Now just try avoiding my major problem - I have dropped my current build three times.... Getting very tired of glueing on the same things...

Chris
  9. dfarrell

dfarrell Member

You know, I drop mine all the time too. It seems that most damge occurs when I fumble around trying to catch it. When they fall on the floor, usually things turn out ok
  10. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Looking better the 2nd time around!
  11. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

dferrell...................... Perseverance! It's amazing how much pain we will endure to make some that we love.

The Albatross is one of my favorite WWI birds, glad to see you resurrecting the build...............and very well at this point.

Gil has a point but it also applies to all models as far as I'm concerned! Somewhere in a build there will be a major something raise his ugly head and glare at me with that silly little grin and smerk............ I'm back!:cry:

Overcoming that is the mark of a good modeller.

john
  12. dfarrell

dfarrell Member

Last night I finished the last few sections of fuselage and began work on the tail. Here is what the fuselage looks like:

Attached Files:

13. dfarrell

dfarrell Member

I ran into a couple probelms with the tail. You are supoosed to cut out a section of the stabilizer and fit it around the fuselage. This method assumes that the fuselage is shaped perfectly so thatit will fit without any gaps. This was not the case for me. Instead, I cut a slit in the fuselage so I could slide it in. This worked fine, but I started having another problem. Thing started to fall apart! I mentioned in an earlier post that I was having trouble getting glue to stick to the glossy paper that the model is printed on. Even after scraping the paper with a razor blade in an attempt to remove the glossy finish, I am still having probelms. The whole thing feels very brittle and won't take much handling before joints start to open up.:???: If things go really bad, I guess I can scream and pull out my hair, and then start again because this time I scanned it before I began building, and I can print it on some paper that like glue! Oh yea, here is the tail:

Attached Files:

14. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Does the glossy paper have areas where you can scrape the gloss, sorta roughen it up a bit to get the glue to bite?
  15. dfarrell

dfarrell Member

That is what I have been trying, but I am still having problems.
  16. dfarrell

dfarrell Member

Here are the lower wings ready to be put on. As you can see,there is a small whole marked on the fuselage that is to be cut out and then a 1/8" dowel is insrted for a wing spar. the wings fit over the spar and but up against the fuselage. I was a bit worried about how it would all fit, the wings fit well

Attached Files:

• 103.JPG
      103.JPG
      File size:
      103.4 KB
      Views:
    • 107.JPG
      107.JPG
      File size:
      95.3 KB
      Views:
  17. dfarrell

dfarrell Member

And now, lets make a biplane out of all this!

Attached Files:

• 109.JPG
      109.JPG
      File size:
      103.1 KB
      Views:
  18. dfarrell

dfarrell Member

I think this model has some very nice graphics, and the glossy finish on the paper makes it look very pretty, but I wonder if they really looked this shiny back in 1917? I think I might try to get the cabane struts and the undercarriage on tonight, we'll see . . .

Attached Files:

• 111.JPG
      111.JPG
      File size:
      103.5 KB
      Views:
  19. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Wow! Really looks remarkable with those wings on it!

Beautiful job!

Russell
  20. Clashster

Clashster Member

Great looking build! Thanks for the update!

Chris