rethinking

May 27, 2004
Winnipeg,MB
Well after a few months of work on the layout im not entirely happy with the 12x3. So with the room of 12x12 i thought this out. Any thoughts?

scan0001.bmp

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
very good.

Very similar to my old drawings and older layouts (did you steal this from my notebook? ha). Only suggestion is a long passing siding in the right side hidden area to store a westbound, until the eastbound is done working. looks good.

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I can't remember if I discussed the previous plan, so anyway...

This appears to be N scale, but the curves are still sharp. Will they handle your intended equipment and look right?

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Three things:

1. You need a yard
2. 18" radius will always lead to frustration and disappointment. Every time. :(
3. Disregarding comments one and two will lead to frustration.

-I had 18" radius, and EVERY time I'd pick something up at the hobby shop, I'd think... will THIS make my radius, AND look nice doing so? Most times it was a "no", and I model the 1950's.

I have slighly smaller space, and what I managed to do with a 9X12 layout:

-24" radius MINIMUM. (4 foot diameter) :)
-A yard using ONE foot in width (about 5 tracks, and a caboose track) :thumb:
-lots of switching! :wave:
-A LONG mainline run! :thumb:
-gentle grades, and beautiful scenery! :cool:
-and best of all, NO ROLLING STOCK RESTRICTIONS! (from bobbers to modern autoracks, if I want! ;) )

I seriously think you should consider these benefits, and make a layout that would reflect these practices, perhaps a square "0" for a plan? :)

May 27, 2004
Winnipeg,MB
But with a 24" radius i cant reach the back of the layout. This is N scale based mid 60's to 70's nothing over 50' rolling stock. Ill think some more ideas out and see what i come up with.

fsm1000

Jun 4, 2006
Coquitlam BC
fsm1000.googlepages.com
Just an idea. The ends where the loops are. Pull them out from the wall about 18 inches. This will allow access, and also bigger radius which is VERY impressive in n scale.
The lower right loop if pulled into the room a bit might work. Not sure of the room though. But if it works it will be very impresive. Anyhow, that is my thoughts. Otherwise it looks good. :)

I hope it helps.