Restoration of AT&SF #3780

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
AT&SF 4-8-4 #3780 was saved from the cutting torches Recently by a new owner. Restoration has already begun.
The first photo shows the sad condition at the time of purchase.

Attachments

• bachn484.jpg
    bachn484.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 351

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
After dissassembly, a close inspection revealed bearing failure on the 2nd set of drivers and Idler gears. Most likely due to the lack of lubricant.
This photo shows the replacement axle bearings.

Attachments

• bachn484bearing.jpg
    bachn484bearing.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 351

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Due to the lack of available replacement parts, most of the drive required fabrication.
After a few days of hair pulling, measuring and calculations I worked out a set of gears that would produce a 55.9/1 final gear ratio.
This photo shows the rebushed idler gears, the larger motor and what will become the primary gearbox.

Attachments

• bachn484gears2.jpg
    bachn484gears2.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 343

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
The primary gearbox began as a peice of 1/4" x 1" Aluminum strap similar to the peice on the right, milled to size and is ready to drill and cut the reliefs for the gears.

Attachments

• bachn484gb1.jpg
    bachn484gb1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 368

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
A cover was fabricated by reducing the thickness of a flywheel piece from an old toy leaving a raised area that fit into the gearbox.

Attachments

• bachn484gb4.jpg
    bachn484gb4.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 332

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
The motor and assembled gearbox with tailshaft and worm assembly.
Off to the right is another project in the shop, I've got another one of these big motors, just might have to turn that N scale 0-6-0 into an HOn30.

Attachments

• bachn484gb9.jpg
    bachn484gb9.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 317

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
The test run went well, all things concidered. I may need to adjust the wormgear clearence to quiet some gear noise in the forward direction. running in reverse it is quiet as a mouse.
Updates will be posted as the restoration progresses.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Geeze Ray, outstanding project, brilliant work. When you get the time, you know I have a couple of engines that need extensive work, especially that switcher I paid $3 for up in Prescott...:rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D

Folks, I gotta tell you a funny story. We were up in the Prescott train swap meet a few weeks ago and were getting ready to leave. I looked around to say goodby to Ray and didn't see him. We couldn't believe he left already, when I caught a glimps of his wife. We we headed in her direction we finally spotted Ray and his son on their hands and knees, digging through boxes of parts under some guy's table finding one treasure after another. Ray's son was proudly holding up an engine shell, "man, look what I found." I have a good idea Ray is passing his talants on to the next generation. I have no doubts that between them they could strip a prototype engine apart and rebuild it if they wanted to......:D :D

Don

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Funny you should ask that Lighthorseman, I got that nickname at the trucking company I used to work for when I modified a trailer to carry 200' crane beams to steer it around corners. Or was it the modified trailers that cheated the drive-over scales by rapidly changing the air preasure in the air-springs as they drove over the scale.
Thanks for sharing that story Don. That's probably where half my collection came from is from those under the table deals. The search is as thrilling as the find.
And yes, I have infected my son with the hobby. (My wife too.)
As for rebuilding a real locomotive, thats one of those dreams I have. I've got a start on that dream, an old locomotive bell. Not much to go on but it's only a dream.
Thanks for the support.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Yes, I'm looking forward to that day SD90. Don't want to get in a hurry though.

Some progress was made today on the restoration project.
Nicer looking wheels were added to the pilot truck and it was wired for electrical pickup.

Attachments

• bachn484pilottruck.jpg
    bachn484pilottruck.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 139