respirator for airbrushing

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
What sort of paint are you shooting? If you are using a water based acryllic, the cheap dust masks will be adequate. If you are shooting Floquil laquer, you will need a much better quality respirator. I think Lowes and Home Depot carry them in the paint department. Ask their sales people, telling them that you are shooting hazardous paints, and need something better than a dust mask.

stary

Jul 22, 2002
bridgeport, pa.
Visit site
sorry, but I've read that dust masks are for dust, and you should ALWAYS use a respirator when airbrushing-unless you do it ouside-no matter if you're using solvent-based paints, or water based. And if you're using solvent-based, also wear gloves.
And, no matter which kind of paint you use, always have adequete ventilation or do your painting in a vented spray booth-again, unless you're painting outside.

Read the article by Andy Sperandeo about painting safety that was in Model Railroader in 1987.

Also, ther was an article in ther sometime in the late 80s or early 90s about a proffesoinal model painter who did beatiful work, but, sadly, he never took any precautions. Late in life, he started to lose coordination, and he caught cancer. By the time anyone founut, it was too late, it had spread too far, and they couldn't do anything about it. But, all the doctors agreed paint fumes were the cause.

I buried my father because of paint fumes, so you can BET I use protection!!!

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
You're correct about the necessity for the respirator when spraying any type of paint, stary. I use a Comfo II, from the Mine Safety Appliances Company. These are widely available, as are the cartridges. You need to use the correct cartridge, what's known as a two-stage, which removes the particulate matter and the hazardous fumes.

Wayne

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Stary...

I think I may have answered you on TrainBoard (*gasp* - another forum :confused:), but here's the answer I gave there:

See www.leevalley.com - search for "respirator". You should get two choices - one around CAN$30 and one at about CAN$60. I have the $60 one, and it is great. Be sure to change the filters as per the recommendations.

Andrew

Dakota train

Mar 30, 2006
Wilton, North Dakota
A good mask to use is the 3M brand, Automotive dual cartridge respirators. It's what autobody technicians use when they paint and what I use to when I do autobody repair. Automotive paint products are some of the harshest chemicals out there. They come in three sizes. Just go to any automotive supply store that sells automotive paint and they'll set you up. Cost on them I think are around $30 give are take $5. Hope this helps.:wave:

stary

Jul 22, 2002
bridgeport, pa.
Visit site
read my post again. You should wear a RESPIRATOR (not a mask) and use a spray booth that's vented to the outside, unless you're airbrushing outside. The proper kind of mask will run you about 20 to 30 dollars, which may seem a little expensive, but that's how much you pay for about 10 bottles of paint. It doesn't matter whether or not the booth has a "good pull".

Remember, we're talking about your health and possibly, your life.

Sorry if this sounds "preachy" but, like I said, I buried my father because of paint fumes.