Reskinning Hulls (or other pieces)

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by ARMORMAN, Apr 20, 2007.

1. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN Guest

Hey all,

Here's a problem and solution:

As you know, I have been working on a contract build of the Nautilus. I've had some problems with hull alignment. The formers buckled the hull at the seams and left some VERY uneven joins. In an attempt to save the model, I decided to experiment with filling and re-skinning the parts.

The first thing I did was scan all the parts before I started (no, you can't have a copy, go ask Jon ;)). Had I not, it would have been the end right here. I then mixed my own filler using paint and Aileen's Clear Tacky. I used a heat gun to get it to set up faster. I then did a skin with JB Weld. Once everything set, I sanded it smooth (or something close to it). I reprinted the parts out on regular paper and cut and glued to the hull.

I should note that you will probably have to cut the parts along the folds (seams) to make sure you get a proper fit.

Hope this saves someone's model out there.

B
  2. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN Guest

Hey all,

Here's a problem and solution:

As you know, I have been working on a contract build of the Nautilus. I've had some problems with hull alignment. The formers buckled the hull at the seams and left some VERY uneven joins. In an attempt to save the model, I decided to experiment with filling and re-skinning the parts.

The first thing I did was scan all the parts before I started (no, you can't have a copy, go ask Jon ;)). Had I not, it would have been the end right here. I then mixed my own filler using paint and Aileen's Clear Tacky. I used a heat gun to get it to set up faster. I then did a skin with JB Weld. Once everything set, I sanded it smooth (or something close to it). I reprinted the parts out on regular paper and cut and glued to the hull.

I should note that you will probably have to cut the parts along the folds (seams) to make sure you get a proper fit.

Hope this saves someone's model out there.

B
  3. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Thanks for the tip. I'll certainly keep it in mind when I build the Fly Model type iX sub.
  4. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I don't know if there's enough JB Weld in the world to fix all my flaws. :grin: I do keep the paper companies busy, though. :wink: