resistance soldering

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by rogerw, Feb 21, 2007.

1. sidetracked

sidetracked Member

I wasnt trying to be a smarta--, I really do appreicate it, but it is a little safer than it looks and he is right, I'm not an electrical eng. ,,,,,,, ,,,,,, ,,,, ,,,,, ,,,, st
  2. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

By the way did you say in one post that you are setting your battery charger at 2 amps for soldering.
  3. sidetracked

sidetracked Member

Yes, I tried it on two and ten. It think two is better. I set the tip on the top of the rail, and melt the solder into the rail joiner. it takes about two seconds and leaves no marks on the rail top and you can hardly tell it is soldered by looking at it. ,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,, st
  4. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

cool I will have to play around somemore with mine. I just figured the 10 amp setting was close to the comercial units of 100 watts. Im will save the 50 amp setting for the 4th of july lol.
  5. Collyn

Collyn Member

Is there any danger of electicuting yourself? And does the other aligator clip attach to the rail.
  6. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

no your only using low voltage(12v) at 10 amps so I think its safe
  7. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

and you put the alligator clip on so it holds the wire against the rail and put the copper clad rod on the other end of wire
  8. sidetracked

sidetracked Member

lol, and for anyone interested, I also ride a harley and dont own a helmet so this is probably one of the safest things I own, beleive it or not, I'm also a farmer and rancher, i'm pretty sure I got a few cows that will hurt me before this thing will,,,
    I would still suggest anyone wanting to get a good, easy job soldering their rails to build one. Just do it a little safer than I did,,,,, ,,,,,, ,,,,, ,,,,, ,,,,, ,,,,, st
  9. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Torpedo is exactly and completely correct in his assessment, I think. It may be fine for
    you, sidetracked, and safe, but if we are intending to be demonstrating it for others to build, we should show it to be properly grounded. I'm not pertickerly shy of 120V, myself,
    but I would still use a grounded cord, and pretend that UL was going to inspect it!! :)
    It can be done safely, paying attention to which pole of the plug is neutral and which
    is hot, for instance.
  10. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

From the "For What It's Worth" Department :D :D

Attached Files:

• 115.JPG
      115.JPG
      File size:
      20.5 KB
      Views:
  11. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

I knew that this couldn't be correct :confused: because of the strong muscle contractions
    produced by a defibrillator, so I looked it up.

A defibrillator applies extremely short duration pulses at 2000-5000 volts and 20 to 60 peak amps. announce1
    The pulse phasing will re-synchronize a heart which is in fibrillation.

There is little danger in 120V appliances IF proper grounding, termination, and insulation
    practices are followed. Those that "can't wire an LED" obviously don't have the required
    experience to fool around with power wiring. MRR wiring, incidentally, is the perfect place
    to gain knowhow regarding electrical circuitry.:thumb:

BTW, your power pack puts out more than 14V and 200mA, and its terminals are allowed
    to be exposed to touch, so there is not a lot of hazard at that level; and it certainly cannot
    be used as a defibrillator.:D :D
  12. sidetracked

sidetracked Member

ok,, here it is,,, Please, No one try to build a resistance soldering unit using a battery charger, If you need one, go buy one, Its not worth the chance of getting you or a loved one hurt,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, st
  13. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

I second that motion sidetracked. I think they should (if you dont know what your doing ) go out and spend the 300 dollars plus for a commercial unit.
  14. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

chaparral what is the voltage on your soldering iron?
  15. tetters

tetters Rail Spiking Fool!

16. sidetracked

sidetracked Member

I'm not sure but I think that price is only for the handpiece. If so, you will need to order a ground lead, electrode, footswitch, and power supply to make it work,,, ,,,,, ,,,,, ,, ,,,, st
  17. tetters

tetters Rail Spiking Fool!

Ahhh...so that's how they suck you in. Better read the fine print next time. It says order components seperately. :rolleyes:
  18. Torpedo

Torpedo Member

"American Beauty Soldering Handpiece, Micro Tweezer-Type"

It says handpiece right up front. No sucking in and no fine print. Prices seem a tad high, though.
  19. sidetracked

sidetracked Member

I think the sucking you in part is putting a pic of the whole set up with the price of just the handpiece,,,, Im sure this could be debated on and on, but it is one way to sell more stuff,,,,, justs my two cents, ,,, ,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,, ,,, , st
  20. Torpedo

Torpedo Member

The ordering is a la carte. Click on any of the part numbers for the American Beauty stuff and you get the same picture, which seems to show all the parts. No big deal. They clearly state, "Components must be ordered individually."

IMO, they aren't trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes.