resistance soldering

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by rogerw, Feb 21, 2007.

1. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

so I set the battery charger to 10 amps.
  2. Torpedo

Torpedo Member

The attachments seem to be missing.
  3. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

pictures

I hope these pictures load. I had to shrink them down. Thanks Roger

Attached Files:

4. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

the other half of all hooked up

This is the car battery charger. The nice thing is it still can be used for charging car batteries when its not being used for soldering.

Attached Files:

5. sidetracked

sidetracked Member

A couple questions, does the foot switch just turn the 110v to the charger on and off. I couldnt tell for sure by the picture how it is hooked up but that is what it looks like. If so could one just put a foot switch in the ground lead with the allegator clip on it to break the connection. It seems like there would be some arcing of the switch contacts either way but not sure. Question two,, Is there anything other than a copper clad welding rod that woud work for that part of it,,,, ,,,thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,st
  6. hminky

hminky Member

I believe that is a copper clad carbon rod, not a steel welding rod. Right? That is the type that comes with the PBL unit. They can be found in smaller sizes, but usually they are 1/4" in diameter.

Harold
  7. Torpedo

Torpedo Member

8. tetters

tetters Rail Spiking Fool!

This has really got my interest. They talk about resistance soldering on the Fast Tracks board and some of the guys who do it swear by it for hand laying switches. Right now I'm using a 40w pencil style iron which seems to be pretty finicky as I seem to be cleaning and re-tinning the iron after each switch in order to get good heat to the joint. So more details on how this goes together would be great.

Thanks.
  9. Torpedo

Torpedo Member

I need to either buy or build one, which is why this thread really caught my eye. I just checked eBay, and they have some resistance soldering bits and pieces listed. I got formal training on resistance soldering when I was in the military. Naturally, we never had resistance soldering units anywhere I was stationed. :rolleyes:

I wonder, if I crank my welder waaaaay down and get a really heavy duty foot switch.....:D

No, probably not. :oops:

sign1sign1sign1
  10. tetters

tetters Rail Spiking Fool!

Thanks Torpedo! Very Timely.
  11. sidetracked

sidetracked Member

just got one built using spare parts around the house. All I can say is it is awesome. For the copper clad carbon I use a carbon rod that we used to use when my dad had a drive in theater. It was used in the projector to make the light. For the foot switch I used a foot switch we used to change from one projector to the other one. I cut a small peice of wooden hammer handle off and drilled a hole thru it for the handle, with a set screw to hold the rod in place and to hook the wire lead to,,,,, the solder job it does on track is amazing. It is instant heat. Will try to get a pic up later,,, thanks rogerw,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,st ,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,
  12. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

nice job sidetracked
  13. sidetracked

sidetracked Member

OK, here is a pic of the setup, I would encourage anyone to make one. I have done a lot of practice with it and have yet to melt a tie. I used an old vacume cleaner cord for a longer cord and it seems to work great on just two amps. It takes about two seconds to melt the solder into the crack in the rail connector. Ten amps seems to be a little high. I have a little resistance iron and it is about useless but this thing really rocks,,,,, ,,,, ,,,, ,,,, st

Attached Files:

14. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

what do you figure your final cost was sidetracked?
  15. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

I have 4 dollars and 50 cents in mine, just wanted to see if you beat me lol
  16. sidetracked

sidetracked Member

I can't really say on a cost, but really close to nothing. The charger i did use but I have several more, the foot switch was in a junk pile and I put a different switch in it left over from when I played around with radios and scanners and the like. and I have a big box of the carbons, the hammer handle was split at the other end so I think I might have beat you on cost,,,,, thanks for posting the first post. Like I said, I have a smaller one and it is useless, In fact I have about five different irons, I use a little butane refillable one for small electronic stuff and it works great but I think this one is going to stay real close to the top of the work bench,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,st
  17. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

good to go bud, glad its working out
  18. Torpedo

Torpedo Member

Tell me you are not using a two wire plug and cord on that rig. You have what appears to be a metal footswitch, which should have a grounded three wire cord, unless you are a qualified electrical engineer who can design and build double insulated equipment. The chassis of the charger should also be grounded, since any double insulated protection has been lost due to your modifications (removing the original power cord).

Sorry to be blunt about it, but that whole thing looks completely unsafe from here.
  19. sidetracked

sidetracked Member

I insulated the swith that I mounted inside the foot switch and also insulated where the foot switch presses on the switch and since I dont plan on using it in a rainstorm or a flooded area I figure it is safe enough for me. I'm not really worried about a fire hazzard since it will only be pluged in when I'm using it and I should notice any excess smoke fairly fast. I guess if it is my time to go it is my time. I kinda thought If I made the sixty mile round trip to town to get all the right stuff I would probably get killed in a car wreck or something. I appreaciate your concern. thanks,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,st
  20. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

lol sidetracked