Rescuing a Bachmann 4-8-4 Northern...

pgandw

Thoroughbreed said:
Not meaning to resurrect an old thread, but I need info on repowering 1 of these 4-8-4 northerns from bachmann. It's 1 of there lower class engines I picked up dirt cheap, and now I know why. When 1st ran, she was great, with no load. After a brief, and I do mean brief, traction test, all wheels out of quarter. Upon exam, the plastic gear sets between the drive wheels were cracked.:curse: I managed to get them back into quarter and used a lil super glue on the gear set to keep it in quarter. I filed down the frame just a lil, where the paint meets the drives, and the joints of my super glue to put them back into round. :thumb:
Now, she'll stay in quarter and runs good, but I won't chance putting it on traction test. I would rather regear the whole thing. The whole body is in excellent condition, no parts missing or bent on engine and tender. I want to use her to pull my consist of riverossi hvywghts, cal limited, all nine cars (2 transcontinental duplex sleepers included, 1 B&O and 1 Blue Comet). Ironically, the Blue Comet never had any sleepers, but she looks good.

I believe Bowser has a replacement chassis - includes new frame, motor, gears, drivers, weights, etc. See http://www.bowser-trains.com/hoemrrs/mechanisms/3_204/3_204.htm. You can also probably order just the parts you need. But I imagine that Bowser mechanism without traction tires will easily outpull the Bachmann with traction tires. And it looks like there is room for even more weight if needed.

my thoughts, your choices

MilesWestern

You know, Bob, did you ever finish/paint/weather this 'un? Just wondering, because you said you would last (?) weekend? let's see the pics! :thumb:

Tayder

I am very encouraged by this thread! I have an old Bachmann 2-8-0 Consolidated (circa 197*). It still runs but needs care. It is also missing it's pilot/cow catcher. As if I didn't already have enough to do...I need to rescue this old girl!

petey

Tayder,
Contact me off-list. I have one of these with all its parts. It would cost you $5 plus postage.

petey

Hey Bob,
This theme still has life. How do you post pics on here? I would show you my current rescue, or you can see it at eBay #300017477787.

shaygetz

Hey, Petey, nice rebuild...can't see why there are no bids on it yet.

Tayder, just cut and paste the number into the search window.

petey

Bob,
The reason there are no bids, is that I start my auctions at what I believe to be a reasonable beginning price, as a lot of them never advance beyond the starting cost. I don't do .99 for a three hundred dollar locomotive.
This causes those prospective buyers to delay bidding, fearing that initiating bids will run up the price too quickly, and besides, most bidding is done very late in the auction.

AndyWS

I have one of these Bachmann "pancake-motor" steam locos as well, a Great Northern 2-8-0 Consolidation. It became the first steam locomotive on our HO layout round about 1992. It never ran very well and caused many a headache for my dad and me (mostly Dad, since I was 6-8 years old at the time and more interested in watching the trains run then helping him keep them running). It was retired in 1994 or '95 and spent more than 10 years in pieces inside our hobby toolbox. I reassembled it recently but quite literally cooked the motor upon applying power-the thing glowed orange and threw off more smoke than the engine's smoke unit ever did. I might add a Bowser retooling kit to it someday but for now it is a display piece, which is just fine since it looks pretty nice except I can't seem to find the bell, which hung off the front above the headlight.

Dsc00214.jpg

shaygetz

AndyWS said:
I might add a Bowser retooling kit to it someday but for now it is a display piece, which is just fine since it looks pretty nice except I can't seem to find the bell, which hung off the front above the headlight.

Nice family piece, Andy:thumb: Looked thru my parts bin, thought I may have had a bell for you but both shells that I have have already had theirs scalped:eek: I'll keep looking, though.:thumb: