Replicating alu skins in graphic programmes

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Leif Oh, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

This I like! No offense, but the superimposing of your pattern from the aluclad experiment kind of defeated its purpose - panel lines of the pattern didn't coincide with the actual panel lines, see what I mean?

Next challenge - use actual panel lines from a model and superimpose on your excellent alu shine. Realize this shouldn't be too difficult.

Really good work, Gil. This is useful. Any way of blending in subtle gradients of earth and sky colours (reflected in the alu)?

Sorry about just adding to the challenges and not contributing, but you're out of my league at present - again...

Leif
  2. Gil

Gil Active Member

Leif,

Yes, the panel lines and rivet detail should have been left off and a picture of the unmarked test panel used to develop the fill panel. This was a quick test to see how it would look.

The idea struck me that taking several shots at different angles to make fill panels allowing differing reflectance from top to bottom.

If you look closely their are panel lines on the image though the compression to jpeg mangled the detail.

Earth & sky blends shouldn't be too difficult using a simple gradient, clip to vector mask and adjust with the transparency control.

What I've been doing isn't that much more complex than what you've already accomplished and shown in your excellent tutorials. Photoshop opens up and endless list of possiblilities.

Gil
  3. Gil

Gil Active Member

Adding Reflected Gradients

Leif et al,

I tried the idea of landscape reflection on the sides of the fuselage test panel.
    The defalut gradient set has one called "Deep Sea" it has blue on one side and a mix of green on the other. Set at 20% roughness it looks somewhat like a reflection of a green landscape and blue sky. Three additional layers were created to put the two side gradients and a top one for the blue sky reflection. A vector mask of the entire outline was put onto each layer. The marquee tool was then used to mark out an area on the right side and filled with the Deep Sea gradient. The layer transparency control was used to reduce this to 9% transparency. The same action was taken on the left half. The top was a three color sample gradient made by sampling the Deep Sea edge colors and setting a very light/white sky blue for the middle color. The transparency control was also set at around 9%. The edge of the middle marquee must be chosen carefully otherwise the two transparency layers will overlap showing as a sky blue rectangle (which you can see below if you look carefully enough). The setting for all reflections was set at "overlay" as the blend mode in the layer control. Below is the result so far...,

Gil
  4. Gil

Gil Active Member

More Reflectance Patterning

Update:

Took Leif's suggestion regarding the reflectances surrounding a somewhat reflective aluminum panel. The following shows an addition of a cloud sky pattern that was blended in through transparency adjust. The sides have been treated with a tan-green to sky blue gradient and adjusted with transparency. The base panel is the simple vector mask pattern with a grayscale dark-light-dark gradient across it's width.

Gil
  5. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Now you're cooking! - L.
  6. Gil

Gil Active Member

Panel lines and tarmac

Update:

The following was posted in much higher resolution than allowed directly from this site. This has "tarmac' sides instead of "green-tan-sky blue". The reason is most aluminum panel aircraft operate from paved airfiellds hence tarmac. Panel line experiment seems to work but I somehow got two single rows in the upper portion that I just noticed. Rivets anyone?

Gil

[​IMG]
  7. Gil

Gil Active Member

Leif's Aluminum Test Figure

Hi All,

The following was redrawn in Illustrator from Leif's file and painted in Photoshop. Still have a few kinks to work out between the two software packages but for the most part it's looking more and more like box art for plastic model aircraft. The skin pictured here is in a more or less grass and dirt type of surround and is reflected off the bottom and sides of the fuselage. Clouds were "burned" into the top by hand. The "grunge" is slightly overdone but was fun to add as last effect before putting things away for the evening...,

Gil
  8. Gil

Gil Active Member

Leif's Aluminum Test Figure

Hi All,

The following was redrawn in Illustrator from Leif's file and painted in Photoshop. Still have a few kinks to work out between the two software packages but for the most part it's looking more and more like box art for plastic model aircraft. The skin pictured here is in a more or less grass and dirt type of surround and is reflected off the bottom and sides of the fuselage. Clouds were "burned" into the top by hand. The "grunge" is slightly overdone but was fun to add as last effect before putting things away for the evening...,

Gil
  9. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

What a vast improvement on the original! Great hope for future models. A most worthwhile effort indeed! - Leif
  10. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

What a vast improvement on the original! Great hope for future models. A most worthwhile effort indeed! - Leif
  11. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Very remarkable indeed!

How does it look printed-out?

I know everybodies printers are different, but could you print a 'before and after' and let us see the difference? The side-by-side comparison would be very enlightning, I think.

Again Gil fantastic work, thanks for the tutorial.

john
  12. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Very remarkable indeed!

How does it look printed-out?

I know everybodies printers are different, but could you print a 'before and after' and let us see the difference? The side-by-side comparison would be very enlightning, I think.

Again Gil fantastic work, thanks for the tutorial.

john
  13. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Oh, but the process of printing and scanning/photographing and comparing with a non-printed/scanned original is most unfair! This is what I discovered when telling the story of the Storch recolouring. Printing is the one step in the process when you really loose quality! Since Gil hasn't a printed original to compare with in the first place, it will be unfair any way you turn. Let's just compare with the scan of the original, supplied earlier in this thread, and the comparison will be in Gil's favour hands down! (At least until one of us builds a model using the technique in comparison with the same model from a factory-supplied alu printed skin.)

My bet is with Gil's effort, even compared to factory-supplied alu-skin.

Leif
  14. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Oh, but the process of printing and scanning/photographing and comparing with a non-printed/scanned original is most unfair! This is what I discovered when telling the story of the Storch recolouring. Printing is the one step in the process when you really loose quality! Since Gil hasn't a printed original to compare with in the first place, it will be unfair any way you turn. Let's just compare with the scan of the original, supplied earlier in this thread, and the comparison will be in Gil's favour hands down! (At least until one of us builds a model using the technique in comparison with the same model from a factory-supplied alu printed skin.)

My bet is with Gil's effort, even compared to factory-supplied alu-skin.

Leif
  15. Gil

Gil Active Member

Outcome

Update:

I happen to agree with Leif. Artifacts that enter through digital processes lose the reality of the original work. That's why repainting can boost a drab scan back to life and with a setting not thought of by the original designer. To the modeler, though, that realism is what's strived for. Enter the art of painting the reflected World in an aluminum skin...,

The image below is the result of printing out Leif's original and the recolored art of that image. Both were printed on Kromekote Inkjet Presentation Paper (super matte finish, 95 brightness, 8 mil calibre, 151 g/m2) with a Canon i560. A digital photograph was then taken of both sitting side by side in the noon sun, cropped, levels adjusted and processed for the Web. Your comments?....,

Gil
  16. Gil

Gil Active Member

Outcome

Update:

I happen to agree with Leif. Artifacts that enter through digital processes lose the reality of the original work. That's why repainting can boost a drab scan back to life and with a setting not thought of by the original designer. To the modeler, though, that realism is what's strived for. Enter the art of painting the reflected World in an aluminum skin...,

The image below is the result of printing out Leif's original and the recolored art of that image. Both were printed on Kromekote Inkjet Presentation Paper (super matte finish, 95 brightness, 8 mil calibre, 151 g/m2) with a Canon i560. A digital photograph was then taken of both sitting side by side in the noon sun, cropped, levels adjusted and processed for the Web. Your comments?....,

Gil
  17. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

WOW!!

Really I said something else but I can not type it here
  18. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

WOW!!

Really I said something else but I can not type it here
  19. barry

barry Active Member

Yea I'd go along with that John quite incredible change. Thankfully ships are rarely made from ali

barry
  20. barry

barry Active Member

Yea I'd go along with that John quite incredible change. Thankfully ships are rarely made from ali

barry