Replacement wheels

Jorge

Mar 3, 2003
New York
Visit site
Hello.

I'm sorta new to this forum. This only my second post. I'm getting back into HO scale after being gone for awhile. I have some Athearn Blue box freight cars which I want to replace the plastic wheels with metal wheels, what brand do you guys prefer? I hear Intermountain wheels are great.

Thanks
Jorge
USA

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Jorge,
Welcome to the gauge,
As Russ stated, most wheel sets are good these days. Some are slightly better than others, (Metal verses Plastic) but even Plastic wheels are very good this day and age.

Shamus
waver.gif

jimnrose

Feb 1, 2001
Orleans Ma. USA
Visit site
Jorge, I was also told to replace the plastic wheels (rail contamination) and found intermountain has the best product. Other brands didn't fit properly with the various truck styles.
Take care, Jim

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi Jorge...

Welcome! I have had good luck with Proto2000 wheel sets replacing plastic wheels on Athearn box cars. In one case I replaced the trucks with Proto2000 trucks. Things roll really nicely now - better make sure your layout is level where you want to park you rolling stock! ;)

Andrew

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Originally posted by Russ Bellinis
Most of the aftermarket wheel sets are good. I haven't used Intermountain, yet; but I've used Kadee, J B, Lifelike P2k, and found them all to be good. Also get "the tool."

FYI all of the wheel sets mentioned in this post are metal. Some have plastic axles others have metal axles. My personal preference is to use wheel sets with metal axles in trucks with plastic side frames. That would be the JB's and I think Intermountain. One thing I didn't mention is that you can buy a set of Atlas trucks for about what you would pay for 4 wheel sets to fit your trucks.

Jorge

Mar 3, 2003
New York
Visit site
Hello.

Thanks for all the help. I will make sure that I get the tool because my friends say its awesome too. It looks like I will be using Intermountain wheels.

Have Fun
Jorge
USA