Replacement wheels for Bachmann

i have two Bachmann starter sets that i am looking to upgrade. the cars seem nice and look good to me. i would like to upgrade to metal wheels. i purchased a pack of Proto 2000 33" wheels that the LHS said would fit. they do fit, but don't spin without a lot of effort. infact, it drags the wheels down the track. any idea as to what metal wheels i could buy to fit the Bachmann frieght cars?

thanks.

shaygetz

Welcome to The Gauge:wave:

You're going to find that it may take a bit of tracking, Atlas, Intermountain, Jay BEE, Kadee, NWSL all make wheelsets, each slightly different in width. I keep several of each in stock myself, moving from one to another 'til a set fits. As a last resort, I've found that knocking the very point off will help a close fit without affecting rolling abilities.

I have found that using a tiny drill in a pin vise works to enlarge the hole for the axle ends. Do trial and test so you don't gouge out too much. Mine now spin merrily along. There is a tool for this, but for me, this is a lot cheaper. And works.

Lynn

N

nachoman

somebody (my guess northwest shortline) makes a tool for reaming out the journal holes in the truck sideframes. Maybe I saw it in the micro mark catalog.

kevin

Pooh Bah
Measure the length of the old axle over the points. Someone makes wheelsets with specified axle lengths.
If the trucks are plastic, pinch the axleboxes together after the wheels are in -- this settles the points a bit deeper in.

went to the lhs today and took my car with me.... tried out a few different wheels and found the Intermountain Semi-Scale 33" Wheels to be an almost perfect fit. so for future reference, Bachmann cars match up with these wheels very well......