replacement motor mounts

P

philip

Does anyone know where I can locate some motor mounts for an old Athearn loco? Walther's is running the blue ink on all motor mounts and my LHS can't seem to locate any. The mount is the two-piece one with 4 dowels that snap into the chassie. Someone said I could silicone the motor in place? With the big merger going on Athearn won't even answer e-mails. The loco is a PA-1. HO 1/87th.

thanks, philip

P

philip

thanks

Found some today at another LHS. Thanks for the info

:thumb:

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Phillip, Glad you found the mounts you needed. For future refference you can silicone the motor into the frame. If you do it be sure that the metal contact strip on the bottom of the motor touches the frame so you have electrical continuity. The better solution is to solder a piece of flex wire to the strip, snap it back on the motor and then fill the motor well with the silcone. Then just place the motor in the silicone, push down on it to get the right height and then let every thing dry. After eveything is dry you can drill and tap a 1-72 machine screw into the frame and attach the wire under it for electrical contact. This is also a good way to put true can motors into older Athearn locos.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
One additional trick that one of the members of the modular club I belong to uses is to cut a couple of pieces of 1/4 inch steel round rod the length of the well of the Athearn chassis. Glue the rods in on each side with silicone, and after it sets up, you have a cradle to center the can motor in your chassis.

P

philip

update

:thumb:
Sounds like some good advise. Got an e-mail from Athearn. Almost fell over dead in my chair. This is the stock# for future reference 84020. Athearn didn't say anything about the part being in stock.

philip