Replace Coupling on Engine

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by kvk, Sep 28, 2004.

1. kvk

kvk New Member

Hi,

I'm not at all an HO hobbiest although my dad had a nice set when I was a kid I used to use at all. I have a simple question.

My bro-in-law gave my son an old Santa Fe engine from when he was a kid to play with. He broke off one of the little plastic coupling do-dads. It looks like there's a little metal pin pressed into the engine body that holds it in; not a screw.

Is it possible to replace this coupling?

-Ken
  2. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

Welcome to the Gauge Ken.
    The front couplers on the Mantua/Tyco F7s are as you described.
    I pull those pins by using a pair of needle-nose pliers and slightly twisting it as I pull it out.
  3. kvk

kvk New Member

Does that imply that I can buy a new coupler and, if needed, a pin, at the hobby store?
  4. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

Parts for the Mantua/Tycos are not available anymore.
    You might be able to find a suitable replacement coupler at a hobby shop. I think Life/Like sells replacements that should work.
    A lot of modelers replace these couplers (horn hook couplers) with magnetically operated Knuckle couplers and have extras laying around.
    Usually the pin can be reused. If not I have replaced them with a small screw.
  5. brakie

brakie Active Member

Does that imply that I can buy a new coupler and, if needed, a pin, at the hobby store?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You should be able to buy a replacement X2F coupler at your local hobby shop.The pin could be replace by a self tapping screw of the same size of the pin.