Repairing Foamboard

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
I'm using a 2" foamboard subroadbed as a foundation to build my layout on. I had to have the crew at Home Depot cut it apart for me so it would fit in the back of my SUV. With a 4x6 layout table, the foamboard is in 3 pieces.

How should I repair these seams? I've read where some people have put down a thin layer of plaster, then painted it an earth tone before starting trackwork, which is what I was thinking about doing. Should I lay out my track and carve out any waterways before repairing the seams?

C

Catt

What are you using for a table? If your putting the the foamboard on a plywood top I would just make sure the joint is as smooth as possible.You might want to glue the pieces back together with something like Liquid Nails for projects (besure you get the foamboard safe stuff).Once everything is dry just go ahead and scenic it like it is one piece.

If your using open framework be sure to put a support board under the joints ,but other than that just edge glue the pieces back together and start creating your land forms.

Just remember to post plenty of pics cause we want to see what your doing.

Post them on the NARA forum too. :D :D :D

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
Thanks for the reply, Johnathan.

I forgot to mention that yes, the foamboard rests on top of 1/4" plywood as well as some 1x3 framework. The plywood isn't really needed per se, but I wanted my layout to be portable if need be. I'm hoping to put in some folding table legs too.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Yeah, John gave you good advice, liquid nails works good, and that's what you should be using to attach the foam to the plywood anyway. I would probably cover it and any seams with a thin coating of plaster but you might wait until the roadbed and tracks are down since you might disturb and crack it while working on your tracks. You might want to think about using joint compound since I think it works better in thin layers and you have a longer working time with it.

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
ezdays said:
Yeah, John gave you good advice, liquid nails works good, and that's what you should be using to attach the foam to the plywood anyway.

Yessir, I sure did! Here's how I did my benchwork:

First, I measured and cut the 1x3 boards to length for a 4x6 layout area. The Scenic and Relaxed plan I'm using only needs 3x6, but I figured a little extra scenery space never hurt anyone.

Next, I marked and predrilled holes for 2" wood screws. This was the most tedious part of the process really, but worth it. I didn't want my boards splitting as I drove the screws in. Using some Gorilla Glue as well, I screwed the framework together.

Then I laid a 4x6 sheet of 1/4" (it's actually a little thicker) plywood on top of the frame. The plywood isn't needed for a layout of this size, but I wanted added strength to be able to move it from place to place. And again, having 3 small kids came into play here too. The plywood was screwed down using the same 2" wood screws.

Last, I dry fitted the foamboard and pieced it together using Liquid Nails to adhere it to the plywood. Once the layout is nearing completion, I will trim it with 1x6 boards around the perimeter for a finish trim. I don't want to bang it up during the construction process.

Hindsight being 20/20...I wish I had drilled some holes through my crossbracing to allow for wiring to pass through. I actually thought about it while building the framework, but figured I could do it later just as easily.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
2-8-2 said:
Should I lay out my track and carve out any waterways before repairing the seams?

I would suggest that you layout the foam board on the plywood, and mark out where your waterways will go. Then, cut out the waterways from the foam and glue the foam pieces that are left down to the board with liquid nails. Once you have the foam glued down, it might be more difficult to cut out a river bed.