Repainting rolloing stock

CAS

Have not layed any track yet. Not sure of what track plan to go with. But i'm thinking on modeling ICG or Soo Line. I looked on the internet at different suppliers to see what kind of availabilty for these lines for Loco's and rolling stock. Not too much for what i seen.

So i decided while i'm still thinking of what track plans i want i will start to repaint my equipment to the RR i want to model after.

I have read pass post in the gauge forums and some others, but now i can't find them. I read to use brake fluid, Pine-sol, and rubbing alcohol, to remove the old paint off.

I started with a Bachmann 40" Rio Grande boxcar, Orange and silver. The cars is about 10 years old, thats about when i bought the set. So i tried rubbing alcohol on a q-tip, all that did was remove the decal. From there i tried Pine-sol, brake fluid, mineral spirits, and today i let the body sit in paint thinner for up to 5 hours, outside of course. No paint was removed, no distortion to the body. I then turned the body upside down to see what color the inside was, and it shell was white. So i know it was painted.

So what can i do next? Should i just paint a coat of my color over to see what happens or what? Any help, i would really appreciate it.

Thanks, Cliff

tillsbury

That would depend upon what paint thinner you used. I think I've heard of soaking in isopropyl alcohol (for several hours, which it doesn't sound like you've tried), and then a toothbrush to get it off. There are also proprietary paint-removers. On the other hand, if the paint isn't too thick (you can still see very crisp detail) you might get away with painting over the top. Remove the decals, as these stick out if you try to paint over them.

Drew1125

Hi Cliff!
Polly Scale Paints also make a product called Easy Lift Off (ELO) You can use this stuff to just remove lettering, or with repeated applications, you can remove all the paint from a model...It is safe to use on all plastics...I prefer it over just about any other paint removal method!
I would also recommend that you find a book on painting RR models, & get some practice on some old junk equipment before tackling that $150 loco, or that $30 freight car...
Good luck! :)

C

Catt

Cliff,I use 91% isopropal alcohol to strip Bachmann cars.The 70% stuff really doesn't quite cut it for paint stripping.It should not take more than 10 to 15 minutes to see some results.You may have to scrub abit with a stiff toothbrush (your drugstore will have these though you may need to ask).

CAS

Thanks Drew and Catt,

i will try the isopropal alcohol. Because today i soaked my rolling stock body in brake fluid for 1 hour and nothing happen.

Thanks again,
Cliff

SAL Comet

Ha CAS, try leaving the shell in the alcohol over night. I just stripped two heavily painted shells that way.