Renovating attic for train room

RobertInOntario

cidchase said:
Now I'm totally confused :D (what else is new?)

If you can't stand up in your attic, how in the blue blazes can you build
a room there?? I think that I would reconsider adding on!! :thumb: :thumb:

There were some discussions not too long ago about a wall- mounted fold-down
layout, even maybe a magazine article. Does anyone remember??

Yes, it would be a bit crammed. I guess I've been inspired by many lofts/attics in British houses that, while they are small, do have railroads running around their perimeters. I've seen and read about these, and that's where I got my idea from. At any rate, I'm not in a rush and I hope to have a contractor come over later this summer or fall. Thanks.

RobertInOntario

doctorwayne said:
If you don't need a garage for your car, just replace the existing building with one about the same size for your train layout, or, if you need a place for the car, build a 1 1/2 storey garage. Don't bother insulating or heating the garage part, but put lots of insulation in the train layout part, add a couple of electric baseboard heaters to keep in warm in winter, and maybe a window air conditioner to keep it comfortable in summer, and you're all set. (And you don't have to heat or cool to the same temperatures that you would have in the house, except when you're actually going to be using the room. Even if your present garage is falling down, you're paying taxes based on the fact that it's there, so while your taxes will likely increase, it may not be to the degree you fear. Another thing to bear in mind is that it's easier to get a permit to repair or replace an existing building than it is to get one for new construction, especially in an established neighbourhood. Whatever course of action you decide upon, make sure that your contractors obtain the proper permits, as many who don't are ones whose work won't stand up to the scrutiny of the building inspector. Good luck.

Wayne

Thanks, doctorwayne, these are excellent ideas!! Good points about the taxes (i.e. that we're already paying taxes for a rundown garage and probably wouldn't pay that much more for a new one). Also good points about only insulating the second level and running heaters or a window A/C when needed, etc. I'll certainly look into this.

I should say that we DO have a basement, but a friend of ours uses it during the week. And I also have a 4x6' layout down there but I have to stow it away after I use it on weekends. So it would be great to find a more permanent space.

The other option would be to sell and move out of Toronto (quite a nice idea actually!) but we probably wouldn't want to move for a few years yet.

Thanks again. These are very helpful ideas, raising many points that I hadn't thought of.

I too am thinkin of exploring the same up there, as mine is about 35' x 40' across and you can stand in the mid to outer 3/4 th's of it. I've got a task list to get up there and re-insulte it, so I thought I'd look into maybe layin down the boards for a floor and seein what I can do. Been up there a few times a;lready, but haven't paid much attention to it (kinda woozy from meds, got alot of time of recently from back injury at work) and the misses wont let me do to much, so I spend alot of my time ordering cars to put together. Just recently finished 2 accurail 89' open autoracks, 1 in pennsy the other in pen central. Got 2 more comin in theis week, both Southerns, 1 bi-level 2nd tri-level. As soon as I'm finished with them, gonna get the Seaboard's, in both colors. Also got 3 Riverossi heavyweights comin in to finish off my set of heavyweights for my santa fe excursion. That gives me 8 cars for my 4-8-4 northern to pull. I've been upgradin each car as I've received it, adding weight, internal seating, changing to kadees body mounted. But back to the attic, my house was built in the 50's, so as I've looked at the ceiling joists and placement, I do believe it will accomodate my adding the dead weight of the wood and some live weight of 2 occupants for a few hours a day. But gotta get into the fiberglass first LOL!!!