Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
Howdy!

I've been in the planning phase of my layout for well over a year now. Most of this time has been spent researching and trying to develop a sense of what exactly it is I want. I've purchased track, lots of rolling stock, and even started on a few structures. My benchwork was even ready. But a couple weeks ago, I sat down and really looked at where my freelanced 1950's road was going. And the answer was nowhere. At just under 97 miles in length, it didn't really have much of a reason to exist. I'm also now able to build a bigger layout, nearly double the size of what I had originally planned.

With a new system map (see image below), new trackage, and a new direction...my railroad needs a new name. I want to run a poll here at The Gauge to help me decide. Here's some background info:

I'm modeling 1953 in Ohio. This new route is in the heart of Ohio's coal region, and coal to port would be the railroad's #1 industry. The line originates in Wheeling, WV and travels through the coal mine region, then north and northwest to Lake Erie. Major cities along the route are Wheeling, Stuebenville, Akron, Canton, Cleveland, Sandusky, and Toledo.

I definitely don't want the name Stuebenville on the sides of my engines, so please don't suggest a name with that. There are several "Erie" named roads in this area: Erie RR (later the Erie-Lackawanna), Wheeling & Lake Erie, Lake Erie & Western. My first thought is to follow that pattern, and have Erie or Lake Erie in the name.

I will use a few poll options, names that brakie has suggested. Feel free to vote in the poll, or post another name and/or slogan here. Also, please ask any questions that may help your decision, and I'll answer as soon as I can.

Thanks everyone!

wnsystem5ca8.jpg

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
We probably could've saved a lot of wasted electrons in the last thread if someone would've said this sooner: They are your toys and you are free to do whatever you want with them. You don't need to justify your actions by anything to anyone.

~B

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
I gained a lot from that thread.

Things got a little heated last night because some people refuse to entertain the ideas of others, simply because they don't reflect their own. Personally, I think it would be a boring world if we all thought the same.

I have to keep reminding myself that this is the internet, and that some people get their kicks out of being rude on forums. There are several posters here who have been very helpful to me during my time here, and naturally I trust their word. Especially when they're part of a railroading family dating back to the 1800's and a moderator on a railroad forum.

The Gauge is a resource for many, myself included. I guess if you don't like viewing my wasted electrons, then don't cause additional waste by posting in my threads if you have nothing constructive to add.

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
I like the Wheeling & Northern because that's what it does. Except I'd suggest "Wheeling Northwestern" since it goes more north by northwest as the crow flies.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Brian Schmidt said:
We probably could've saved a lot of wasted electrons in the last thread if someone would've said this sooner: They are your toys and you are free to do whatever you want with them. You don't need to justify your actions by anything to anyone.

~B

Brian,As you know thousands of modelers wants to plan and operate their layouts in a prototypical manner and many seek help to reach that goal..That's why knowledgeable modelers like us needs to help those that ask questions about the prototype,operations and so on..:D
Personally I would rather see electrons being "wasted" on questions about railroads,operation, prototypical modeling, modeling in general etc then some of the foolishness I have seen on other forums.:D
To that end I hope we(the members) never lose sight of that goal.:thumb:

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
Might I suggest something similar to the Detroit & Lima Northern?

That was the original name of the railroad through JC. I voted Ohio Northern for this reason. You are wise to look at the naming of other railroads in your area. Keep in mind, your railroad doesn't ever have to get near it's namesake since many railroads didn't (the Frisco? The Denver, South Park, and Pacific)

(note: I can't remember the southern half of the DT&I's construction name, but I know the D&LN was the northern half...and I believe that did include St Johns & Jackson Center)

Givin your hometown, some motive power to think of having in your roster...lettered for your railroad: a Pensy 2-8-0, a russian decapod, or a small berkshire.

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
spitfire said:
I like the sound of Erie and Southern - it's just sounds real to me, or almost like I've heard of it already, so that's my vote. :thumb:

Val

I agree. I'm leaning very strongly towards Erie & Southern for that very reason. It sounds "railroady", and it's like I've heard it before. And not to mention, it looks really cool on my paint scheme:

gp73hy9.jpg

I have a few herald designs in the works too. I'm switching to a diamond shape, because I think that would look better on the front of my engines, considering the paint scheme. It's a little tricky, because I don't want it to look too much like the Diamond E of the former Erie Railroad.

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
nkp174 said:
(note: I can't remember the southern half of the DT&I's construction name, but I know the D&LN was the northern half...and I believe that did include St Johns & Jackson Center)

Yeah, I think you're right. The D&LN was supposed to be responsible for Lima to the Michigan state line, but I thought I read somewhere once that they did come this far south.

C

Catt

I like Ohio Northern,but then again Erie Southern sounds good too. (No I did not forget the & :D )

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Aside from being a nice paint scheme it is also very believable, which you seem to be striving for. It looks very fitting for the era. Just don't expect it to say clean for very long in the coal fields.

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
Brian Schmidt said:
Aside from being a nice paint scheme it is also very believable, which you seem to be striving for. It looks very fitting for the era. Just don't expect it to say clean for very long in the coal fields.
Thanks! :thumb:

Yes, I'm trying...what's the word? Proto-freelance? I saw that description used somewhere to describe something like this.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Well I'm liking Erie & Southern and it seems apt for your route map. Proto-freelancing sounds like the term! Makes me want to establish a more detailed history and feasable justification for the short line I'm adding to my layout.
Ralph