Removing & installing decals

jland31

Would like to remove Kato factory installed decals & replace them with others. NaturallyI don't want to damage the paint on these passenger cars.

Would really appreciate input as to how to do this & the materials to use from those that have done it.

Or, where can I find some written words on the subject?

Vic

Its Hard To Do

Most likely the lettering is not a decal but rather an imprint, possibly a screenprint or a padprint. The inks/paints used to make these impressions are kinda tough. Its right hard to remove the imprint without affecting the underlying finish.

You might try putting a liberal amount of Walther's Solvaset on the imprint. Let it stand for a few minutes and then see if you can blot it off with a tissue. Don't rub it or you will damage the finish underneath the imprint. I've had some success with this method but it depends on what kind of ink or paint was used to make the imprint. Any kind of paint solvent will disolve the imprint and the finish underneath it.

IMHO the best way to go is to strip the piece, repaint it and then apply the decals you want.

Hope this helped.

Blake

I have had success using solvaset and then a pencil eraser. Use the pencil eraser very lightly. Also (and this could be risky) dab a small amout of Scale Coat Wash Away (a great stripper to use on plastic). Let it set for a few seconds then wipe it off. However, use these methods at your own risk. I have had mixed results (most were good) with these 2 methods.

jim currie

i have had good success with athearn factory lettering by just soaking it in water with some detergent and using an old tooth brush.

Gary Pfeil

I've also had good results with using solvaset and a pencil erasure. Lettering came off a Bowser caboose easily, a Bachmann loco was a little tougher. Never have done a Kato. I just posted a photo of the Bachmann unit in the photo section, the thread is called JGL #5412. It had Chesapeake and Ohio on the flank of the tender.

Gary