removable glue

stary

I want to glue some things to my layout; but have them be removable. Things like track through a bridge, roofs on structeres, a bridge on abudments or trestles, etc. Is there a glue that stays tacky no matter how long it remains on a surface?

ezdays

Out AZ way
I don't think you want to use something that remains tacky forever, it will collect everything that comes in contact with it if you do. Dust, dirt, bugs, parts... anything. My first thought though would be to use rubber cement, although I'm not sure how long it will remain pliable. If it were me, I'd probably use white glue. It will harden, but you can soften it right back up and remove anything by soaking it with water. Right now I'm adjusting some track that has already been ballasted using white glue. I just spray it with water a wait for less than a minute before everything becomes loose again.

ezdays

Out AZ way
berraf said:
That's good news and for me definitely tip of the day sign1
That's good, just be sure and not use the yellow stuff. That's waterproof when dry and won't work like the white stuff does.

N

nachoman

It also helps to just glue it in a few spots, enough to hold but not enough to make it difficult to remove. I second the white glue idea.

kevin

myltlpny

What about Walther's Goo? I use that to locate people and such so that I can re-arrange things at will. It sticks well, but isn't permanent.

pontiacsforever

Hi,

There is also a wax-like substance that dollhouse folks use to secure things temporarily. I have a small container of it and it works quite well. Just sticky enough to keep something in place but if you need to remove it it comes off easily.

There are also other temporary sticky compounds used for holding up candles in holders and such that might work. Most guarantee they won't stain materials.

Hope that helps,

Collyn

A couple of suggestions. what about that glue walthers sells for the foliage on trees. If the area does not show you could use contact cement. It is tack by itself just only put it one one surface if you don't want it permanent. I just pulled up some 10 year + vinal flooring glue down with the stuff and the glue was still tacky. Other suggestions would be glue that doesn't hold well like hot glue or double sided tape.