Removable Coal Load

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to put this in, but it is something I whipped up from scratch, & although this particular one is N scale, this would easily work in any scale.
I just built this little car, so I needed something for it to haul...so I thought I'd show how I made a removable load of coal my favorite way, cheap, fast, & easy.
I start by cutting a piece of styrofoam roughly to the dimensions of the car, & then using sand paper, smothing the top into a rounded shape.

Attachments

• mvc-028f.jpg
    mvc-028f.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 217

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Then I painted it with some flat black craft paint...

Attachments

• mvc-029f.jpg
    mvc-029f.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 212

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Onto this I brushed some full-strength white glue.
I had picked up a piece of coal of the tracks near my house...I crushed it with a hammer, & sprinkled this onto the wet glue.
I sprayed the whole thing with some hair spray to seal it, & this load is ready to roll.

Attachments

• mvc-031f.jpg
    mvc-031f.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 215

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Charlie that's a great idea! Especially the part about smashing up a piece of real coal. It's my feeling that sometimes there's nothing like the real thing (as Marvin Gaye once said):D :D :D

I tried unsuccessfully to match the colour of our local dirt with paints and finally ended up using some from the side of the road, ground up finely. The price is right and you can't beat the colour match!

Cheers
Val

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Yeah,
I wanted to use the real coal...
But if you wanted to do this, & did't have access to the real thing, you can find commercial model coal, which would also work.
You could also use this technique to make loads of other materials, such as ore, ballast, sand, etc...

C

Catt

The only other place I could think of to put this would be in Tips-n-Tricks. :D Nice job buddy.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by Charlie
Yeah,
I wanted to use the real coal...
But if you wanted to do this, & did't have access to the real thing, you can find commercial model coal, which would also work.
You could also use this technique to make loads of other materials, such as ore, ballast, sand, etc...

I was just thinking what else might work without the scavenger hunt :) I wonder how charcoal would come out, or maybe black chalk.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I thought about both of those too Jon...didn;t try either one...
I would think the charcoal might be a better stand-in than the chalk...& you certainly can't beat the price!

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Another Coal Load

My friend Gilbert who worked for NS called me one afternoon and told me to meet him at the local yard and bring a bucket. Seems that a hopper full of black roofing granules sprung a leak.:eek: I got a lifetime supply and they make pretty good coal.:) :D :D

Attachments

• coal2.jpg
    coal2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 145

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by Charlie
I thought about both of those too Jon...didn;t try either one...
I would think the charcoal might be a better stand-in than the chalk...& you certainly can't beat the price!

I think either one would benifit from a coat of dull coat. I wonder if you can still get the fake coal made of ground up black glass like stuff. It was pretty good.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Originally posted by cidchase
Good lookin' work, guys!!
BTW Vic,
Ifn' you decorated that gondola, where did you get the herald ???
TNX

Hey Cid, Both ThinFilm and MicroScale have that herald in their D&RGW NG freight car sheets. The Microscale is the stencil version and the ThinFilm is the solid version.

BTW...As best as I know there ain't no prelettered HON3 cars...The one in the pictures is a Grandt Line Drop Bottom Gondola. Although it has a wealth of details due to the extremly high quiality of the kit it was a breeze to assemble.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
BTW...As best as I know there ain't no prelettered HON3 cars...The one in the pictures is a Grandt Line Drop Bottom Gondola. Although it has a wealth of details due to the extremly high quiality of the kit it was a breeze to assemble.

Vic, I was going to ask about that gon. Years ago Model railroader ran an article on scratchbuilding that car. I just might have to try it.
The gon looks great with the load in it!
Pete

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Thanks Pete....I believe I've seen that article too. Unless you just want the scratchbuilding challange get the kit. Its under $25 and you'd spend that much on the detail parts and trucks alone. But I don't know if its still in production being as Mr. Grandt has passed on.:(

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hey Pete, If I was gonna......definitley ON30....much easier on the bifocals and these old stiff fingers:D :D 'Sides that....you'd have something hardly nobody else had!! :D Do 'Ya get the feeling that I'm trying to get you started on it?:D :D :D :D Do I smell a potential contest winner?...LOL!!

Thanks for the refference on the article...I'll definitely look it up:)

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Vic,
Actually, the size wouldn't matter, but I don't model D&RGW, so On30 freelance would be a better choice. Unfortunately, the project list is way too long right now to include this one. Maybe some time down the road I'll let you know when to start "holding your breath".
Pete