removable Backdrops?

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
I had a crazy idea...

I love to photograph my trains, but what often happens is the background of my basement shows instead of the sky. My layout is a 4x8 where i need access to the front and back 8 foot sections. I thought maybe i could have detachable walls with flats and such on each side so that the background looks more complete, and that way i can take more realistic pictures.

If I'm more interested in operating my trains, i can just remove the pannels and set them a side. Has this ever been done before? If so, would anyone be able to give me tips?

Thanks
Chris

FiatFan

Chris,

Sounds like a good idea to me. What I did was get a couple of city backdrops and used the spray adhesive to attach them to the foam board. Thay way, they are very lightweight, yet firm enough to stand without much support. Mine is about 7 feet long by about 14 inches high and is held in place with three small screws. In order to join two sections of foam board together, I simply cut another piece of foam board and spliced the two sections together, agaqin using the spray adhesive. It's very easy to remove if I need to work on the track behind it.

Tom

Pooh Bah
I started to make some sky backdrops, but we filled the walls with RR pictures. I prop a piece of blue backdrop behind my scenes. I used foamcore board and blended some shades of blue from bottom to top.

Russ Bellinis

If you just want a blue sky backdrop behind the layout when photographing, you could get a light blue bed sheet or cloth and just tack it or tape it to the wall.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
There was an article a while back in MR (I think) about a guy who built his railroad not for operations, but more for railfanning. He had a bunch of access hatches, and a protable backdrop that he used to get different shots from a variety of angles.

If you've got a decent computer, you can always Photoshop your images, and add brakedust, smoke, steam, etc along with the background.

Andrew