Reluctant to buy sealed Jan. MR

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
The latest issue of MR is on the stands, sealed in plastic because it includes an extra mini-magazine about building a 4X8 layout. I don't subscribe anymore but do pick up occasional issues that appeal to me. Any one seen the contents and willing to make a recommendation? I'm an HO modeler in the 70's diesel era.
Thanks to all reveiwers! :)
Ralph

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
If you're taliking about the huge PC layout featured....Nah...Basic MR layout tour.
They showed more Pennsy stuff(The guy can backdate it to any era) then PC.
Looks like it would be a excellent layout to see first hand, by the looks of it, the article dosen't do it any justice. Do any of them?

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Hi Ed,
I mean the new one after that. I think it might have just hit the stands.
Ralph

Pooh Bah
Ralph:
Articles are:
adding a mine extension to the Turtle Creek
Modelling stucco (ATSF Lamy depot)
HO layout
1905 layout
detailing an SD40-2
Power districts for DCC and circuit breakers for DCC
Los Altos History Museum O gauge layout
!0 points in choosing a DCC system
The usual columns.
The extra is a summary of the Turtle Creek layout articles.

rsn48

Not their best issue, not their worst issue. Consider it your reading material over the holidays when your sitting around bored.

jetrock

Check your local library--a lot of them carry MR, you can browse to your heart's content and decide whether or not it needs a place on your shelf.

siderod

Jetrock...i'd love to see your Local Library...we just got a new one and i havn't had the tiem after the grand opening to check out the magazine section, but most of what was in the old library is in the new one and there was only a couple thomas the tank engine books, a few easy-to-read children's books which have illustrations like a bigboy shunting and an 0-6-0 running the main with about 55 cars....uggg

Not a MR, RMC, Railpace, RF&RR or anything like that to be found **sigh**

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
That's a good suggestion jetrock and I actually used to do just that every month to see if the latest MR was something I'd want to buy. Unfortunately my local library discontinued its subscription to MR two years ago. Hmmmm, I should ask them why...
Ralph

jetrock

I love to see my local library--we've got a half-decent railroad section, a shelf or two of model railroad books, MR and RMC in the periodicals section, and the Sacramento Room which has a hatful of books, photos, maps and periodicals on local railroading as well as plenty more on other local history not having to do with railroads or industries that dealt with the railroads (of which there wasn't very much.)

And then of course there's the Railroad Museum Library seven blocks away, generally considered to be one of the best railroad libraries in the world...

and then, of course, there's my bookshelf!!!

DanRaitz

Ralph,

Ask the saleperson at your LHS if he has an open copy, that you could look at first before buying. I'll bet that he does and would gladly let you see it.

Dan

SAL Comet

rsn48 said:
Not their best issue, not their worst issue. Consider it your reading material over the holidays when your sitting around bored.

Hope your not bored for long, If you skip the ads and the other crap :curse: , it only takes about an hour to read a copy of MR.