Reliable Shay ???

Skunk Valley

I'm building a mated set of modules using a "logging shortline" theme. Club will occasionally set up for shows or demos, so I'll need reliable locomotives.

I have a Bachmann Shay, but have heard that a lot of people have experienced drive train problems with them. I'm considering having another Shay for primary running, maybe one of the MDC types.

Any comments or thoughts on a reliable running engine?

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Skunk Valley,
As with everything else, there are ocassional problems. The only thing I can say is that my Bachmann shay has always run well, and even after being knocked off the club layout, and falling 4' to the concrete floor, it still runs well/. Don't know about the MDC ready to run shays, but the kit is noisy.
Pete

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Jack,
I have around 7 of the MDC shays two are RTR's but the rest were kits. All I can say is that they are a little noisy but run as sweet as a nut if you take time in assembling them.

Shamus

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
The Bachman Shay I bought for the better half hasn't given me any problems yet. Just moves too slow for her. I keep telling her the "real ones did that". Has anyone else have this problem, or is it normal?

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
And a continent....I live on the east coast.
All the above....except number 5........I'm a lover, not a fighter.
Maybe I'm and she are too used to seeing my -9 moving at a pretty good clip, with a string of double stacks.

shamus

Registered Member
Originally posted by eightyeightfan1
The Bachman Shay I bought for the better half hasn't given me any problems yet. Just moves too slow for her. I keep telling her the "real ones did that". Has anyone else have this problem, or is it normal?

Hi, all the Bachmann 3 truckers run very very slow, they are geared like that. MDC will move quicker.

Shamus

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
If a shay is moving faster than 12 miles/hour, it has "warp engines".

I picked up two new Bachmann shays at Trainfest. a Weyerhaeuser Timber, and,,,,, Cass #5 !!!!
Both run well, will have to see if problems develope.
Pete