Regarding very tight circles...

tverskaya

...tight as just under one foot in diameter.

As far as I know most stuff that runs on rails will just laugh at you as soon as you think of having them run close to something like that. I tried to run a four axle, two bogie locomotive (my hideous old Piko) through such a curve in a test layout and it derailed, completely according to expectations. As there's clearly a minimum radius save major reconstructing of the chassis, I gave up trying to run that one. Undeterred by this setback, I decided to look for a simple, cheap two or three axle engine that could make this curve.

Now as to my questions: Does any of you have recommendations for an engine to use for this. I'm looking for a simple tank engine or diesel locomotive. I'm not too picky, as I'll probably partially rebuild the body anyway. Are the small locos that come with starter sets the way to go?

Papa Bear

Hey Tverskaya. The Life Like SW 9/SW 1200 should make it. I think Bachmann makes an industrial switcher and a 0-4-0 that may work.

I'm not familiar with your Piko locomotive, but I would try checking underneath to see if there's anything getting in the way of the trucks turning. The freer your trucks can turn, the tighter radius you can negotiate.

Also, with curves that small, you have to be really careful with the track as it can easily get out of gauge. Check it with a track gauge. You may have to put more spikes, nails, etc in it to keep it in gauge.

Hope that helps.

davidstrains

If you can find small shunter diesel (Plymouth is one of them that I remember from a while ago) or perhaps one of the old Atlas 0-4-0 switchers they should take that small radius. I have even had a small 0-6-0 on a 12"circle. Didn't run to long as the engine finally died. I never did finish that layout though.

tverskaya

Thanks for your input.

Already frantically bidding on 0-4-0s and 0-6-0s on a well known auction site. Been overbid thrice already, but I keep trying.

Will it be sufficient if I just pin down the flex track to keep it put at the right gauge or are more rigorous methods required?

davidstrains

Cannonball hit it. I believe that as the turns get tighter it is even more important to have the gauge correct simply because the locos and cars cannot be as forgiving as they can on wider curves.

tverskaya

I guess there are two ways in which a car can get into trouble in a curve:

a. two bogies with two (or more) axles each, and they just can't turn enough.

solution would be to make more room under the car.

b. more than two axles in line, where there just isn't enough room for the wheels.

short 0-6-0 doesn't cause much trouble, but I'd imagine that 0-8-0 and more will only accept huge radiuses.

Now if the gauge of the curve would be just a fraction larger...wouldn't it then be able to accomodate longer fixed axle cars?

Oh, and I have a 0-6-0 tank loco and some very short two axle cars on their way.

tverskaya

They're by Graham Farish, British prototype (which will probably look awful as the loco I got is German prototype, but some paint and modifications should make them look good enough)

Attachments

• short_cars.JPG
    short_cars.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 40

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
They're by Graham Farish, British prototype (which will probably look awful as the loco I got is German prototype, but some paint and modifications should make them look good enough)
Oh, I thought maybe you had found some short passenger cars.
Actually, that's what I'm looking for is early to mid steam era passenger cars.