Reducing scales?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by umtutsut, Oct 5, 2006.

1. umtutsut

umtutsut Member

Gang,

Has anyone tried reducing the scale of a model? In my case, I reduced a couple of rocket models from 1/96 to 1/144, and they seemed very difficult to roll and/or assemble the parts.

Is 1/144 just too small for paper models? Any tricks I might try, or should I just let it be? [Hmmmmm...that would make a good song title.... :) ]

Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum flack)
  2. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

When you reduce the scale of the model, you should realize that the thickness of the material the model is printed on, should also be reduced. This is especially important if you are building models in 1:144 scale....
  3. Alcides

Alcides Member

4. Texman

Texman Guest

5. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Only my opinion...

I think 1:900 (TY scale) may be too small for me...but I am still trying...

umtutsut, I find that building them tiny is much easier than origional size almost always. The parts are smaller but they are less likely to warp, plus the fact that I use 110# cardstock for everything I build. It provides great stability when pressing glued parts together. I built a 1:811 scale Crooks Locomotive cardmodel using this thickness (see my avatar).

Anything that can be done, can be done smaller...give it a try...

Thank you Alcides for linking to my tiny challenge, no better way to answer this one...
  6. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Only my opinion...

I think 1:900 (TY scale) may be too small for me...but I am still trying...

umtutsut, I find that building them tiny is much easier than origional size almost always. The parts are smaller but they are less likely to warp, plus the fact that I use 110# cardstock for everything I build. It provides great stability when pressing glued parts together. I built a 1:811 scale Crooks Locomotive cardmodel using this thickness (see my avatar).

Anything that can be done, can be done smaller...give it a try...

Thank you Alcides for linking to my tiny challenge, no better way to answer this one...
  7. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

i've reduced the scale of panzerkamphwagen model from 1/50 to 1/72