Redoing my website

fsm1000

Jun 4, 2006
Coquitlam BC
fsm1000.googlepages.com
I am redoing my website. So any comments NOW would be nice. I have already redone four of the tutorials in the model RR section. I am hoping that putting the pictures on the site instead of having to go elsewhere will make things easier for everyone.
Please visit and enjoy.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Looks good so far. I like the larger fonts. What size are you using?
If you like I can show you a trick to open links to other websites in new windows rather than have them navigate away from your page when people click on them.

fsm1000

Jun 4, 2006
Coquitlam BC
fsm1000.googlepages.com
Cannonball said:
Looks good so far. I like the larger fonts. What size are you using?
If you like I can show you a trick to open links to other websites in new windows rather than have them navigate away from your page when people click on them.

As I use firefox and not buggy IE I didn't think about that. [Firefox just opens a new tab]. So sure, if you can show me how to make IE run better go for it. Maybe it will become IE friendly although I hope people change to Firefox if only to protect themselves :D
The font size is called "large" by google. That is what I use. :) Not much help I know.

Thanks for the tips in advance.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
fsm1000 said:
As I use firefox and not buggy IE I didn't think about that. [Firefox just opens a new tab]. So sure, if you can show me how to make IE run better go for it. Maybe it will become IE friendly although I hope people change to Firefox if only to protect themselves :D
The font size is called "large" by google. That is what I use. :) Not much help I know.

Thanks for the tips in advance.
I use Firefox at home but I'm stuck with IE at work.
Check out the Cool Iris attachment for Firefox if you haven't already. It's pretty amazing.

Anyway.... for IE users, to get a link to open automaticly in a new window, it's a simple add to your HTML code.

instead of just < a href= http://www.reallyhelpfulweb.com >

use < a href=http://reallyhelpfulweb.com target=_blank >

The target=_blank will automaticly open a new window without the user having to right click and select it.

fsm1000

Jun 4, 2006
Coquitlam BC
fsm1000.googlepages.com
Cannonball said:
I use Firefox at home but I'm stuck with IE at work.
Check out the Cool Iris attachment for Firefox if you haven't already. It's pretty amazing.

Anyway.... for IE users, to get a link to open automaticly in a new window, it's a simple add to your HTML code.

instead of just < a href= http://www.reallyhelpfulweb.com >

use < a href=http://reallyhelpfulweb.com target=_blank >

The target=_blank will automaticly open a new window without the user having to right click and select it.

Um er ah what?

Where do I add this? I use google pages and all I have to do is add text and the pictures. I don't know anything about html sorry. :S

Where do I put it? Do I add it to the link? HHHEEELLLPPP. LOL
I really don't know that stuff. I am more a hardware guy then software.

Thanks a lot though.

A business that uses IE? Maybe when they get hacked like the others do they will switch to Firefox. Like the others do:D

Fort Kent Dad

Sep 4, 2005
Alberta Canada
www3.telus.net
I guess it all depends on what you want. The for more pictures you can always go to your image gallery, where there are tons of pics, maybe too many, it is a bit overwhelming. So the pics are there, you site just makes the user work a bit by having to open the images (I have XPmedia and they openned in a new tab which was fine).

Your site is going to interest a person serious about learning how to, it is not a surfer friendly eye-candy site that will attract large numbers. That's my thoughts anyway. If you want increased traffic, try appeasing the eye candy crowd with a few more pics on the site, or even thumbnails would be good.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
fsm1000 said:
Um er ah what?

Where do I add this? I use google pages and all I have to do is add text and the pictures. I don't know anything about html sorry. :S

Where do I put it? Do I add it to the link? HHHEEELLLPPP. LOL
I really don't know that stuff. I am more a hardware guy then software.

Thanks a lot though.

A business that uses IE? Maybe when they get hacked like the others do they will switch to Firefox. Like the others do:D
Ah, you're doing a prefab site. I don't think this little trick will work then.
Still a nice looking website! :thumb:

It makes us even though. I don't know bupkiss about hardware. :D

fsm1000

Jun 4, 2006
Coquitlam BC
fsm1000.googlepages.com
hav
Fort Kent Dad said:
I guess it all depends on what you want. The for more pictures you can always go to your image gallery, where there are tons of pics, maybe too many, it is a bit overwhelming. So the pics are there, you site just makes the user work a bit by having to open the images (I have XPmedia and they openned in a new tab which was fine).

Your site is going to interest a person serious about learning how to, it is not a surfer friendly eye-candy site that will attract large numbers. That's my thoughts anyway. If you want increased traffic, try appeasing the eye candy crowd with a few more pics on the site, or even thumbnails would be good.

Hmmm. I already have over 200 pictures in just the four parts I have redone already. I am nit sure how many more I would need to please the 'eye candy' crowd. And most of them are thumbnails because the pictures are large.

In the parts I have redone I took the pictures off of photobucket and placed them on my website. On the left side of the main page you will see it says
Model Railroading
[the new site]

If you click on that instead of the old site I think you will see that all the pictures are on the pages with the text now.
In time I will make all of it like that. It takes a lot of time though.

Thanks for looking just the same though. :)
ALL comments are appreciated.