Red Neck Motor Home

Discussion in 'The Academy' started by TrainClown, Mar 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrainClown

TrainClown Member

I came across this pic a few years ago. It was posted by Mike Chambers. I saved it and only recently stumbled on it again when I was cleaning out some files. I am building a farm diorama and I bought a pack of LifeLike trucks. I have way more trucks than I know what to do with, so when I saw this pic again, I got the idea to scratch build it just for the fun of it. Here is the pic titled "Red Neck Motor Home"

[​IMG]

Here is the truck with the modified frame. You can see the duels drying in the background.

[​IMG]

Here is the card stock frame for the living quarters.

[​IMG]

Here is the truck in paint.

[​IMG]

The camper with boards. The wood is left over from other projects.

[​IMG]

The back porch.

[​IMG]

The door. I turned the door knob in my power drill. Still needs hinges and paint.

[​IMG]

This is a mock-up just to see how it is coming together.

[​IMG]

That's all for now.

TrainClown :wave:
  2. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

"That's it" you say. There had better be more, 'cause that's a riot. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  3. tverskaya

tverskaya Member

Looks great. Would almost want one to live in. Almost. Wonder if one can drive one of those on a public road.
  4. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

"Git 'er done!" :thumb:
  5. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

TC you out did your self :) but i don't see a banjo player :)
  6. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

:wave: :wave: I agree with Don. There had better be more pictures and a banjo player. These are great Trainclown.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  7. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

That's terrific! Pass the jug! :)
    Ralph
  8. davidstrains

davidstrains Active Member

:thumb: :thumb: What he said.
    That is a super model of a whimsical photo and displays true - uh - talent. Couple of jugs on the portch, a dog or 2 laying around and a couple of cars on blocks is all that you need to complete the scene.sign1 sign1

Looking forward to the finished work
  9. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

"Whimsical" is a great word for this! Nice work Chris! Looking forward to seeing the completed... vehicle? shack? RV? :D

Andrew
  10. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

"Yup, she's a beauty, ain't she Clark, but don't you go fallin' in love with 'er now."

You could build a basement under this one and make it the rich redneck's version of the car up on blocks. You've done a really nice job on this, but if you hadn't posted the photo of the prototype first, no one would have believed the model.

Wayne
  11. Wyomingite

Wyomingite Member

You grab the fishing poles and I'll get the beer. I love it'

Ron :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :wave:
  12. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

Before you get the beer, better check the ID to make sure he is old enough.sign1 sign1 sign1 :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  13. TrainClown

TrainClown Member

Thanks for the kind words. I have made a little progress. I got the front bumper put on the truck.

[​IMG]

Someone said there should be a banjo someplace. Well that seemed like a challenge to me. This is my first attempt.

[​IMG]

I'm not happy with this attempt on the banjo and so I am going to have another go. I should of used styrene for the round part instead of wood. Also a few more details I think I could add. Funny how seeing a photo of our work can point out the flaws. The unblinking eye.

Update April 2

I have this plastic chair. Perhaps you noticed it in other pix in this thread. I didn't like it. All wrong for this project.

I had thought about building a chair as though it were made out of raw tree limbs, as some folks do, having a very rustic look about it. But my problem is I don't have a ready supply of the right sticks to do the job.

Next best thing, I think, is an Adirondack type chair. I found some plans on the Web and shrunk them down to the right size, printed them out and spent the better part of last night gluing it together. So here it is.

[​IMG]

I like that pic, but it isn't very clear. So here are some better pix.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The chair is a paper sculpture made from laminating 3 pieces of paper together with a glue stick. The top piece having the pattern printed on it of course. Then cut out the parts with an Exacto knife. I found the laminated paper easy to cut, cheaper than styrene and glued up easy with white glue. The slats on the seat are cut from only one sheet of paper. The chair glued together a little off square, but while the paint was drying and the chair was soft, I nudged it in to square, or close to it.

I have a Dude, LPB who had a lousy paint job. I stripped it with brake fluid and just had to repaint him for this photo shoot. I painted him with Acrylic paint and I am not happy with the results. The paint is soft and scrapes off easily and it builds up too thick. So he is destined for the BF bath again for another try. He is the first LPB I ever painted.

Come on Dude. Have a seat.

[​IMG]

If we ask him nicely, Dude will rip us a new one with his rendition of "Foggy Mountain Brake Down"

[​IMG]

kind of nice how this particular LPB seems to hold the banjo. If I glued it to him then I could position the hands as if he were playing. That's nice, but not what I originally had in mind for my back porch. I was originally going to just have the banjo sitting in the chair, something like this.

[​IMG]

You see, I don't think I want any people around the motor home. I guess I could, but I am torn. On one hand it would be neat to have a little blue grass band and some folks sitting around listening or dancing, but it was my initial intent to have a static scene. Like someone just put things down and walked away. Another consideration is, right now I don't have the LPB's to populate the scene. Well, not painted anyway.

I know there are a lot of fellas who build unpopulated scenes and vise-a-verse. I would be interested to know what your take on this subject is.

Back to work on the truck now.

TrainClown :thumb:
  14. shortliner

shortliner Member

Hey TC - sum reel nice modelin' thayer! If'n yuh changes yuh mand takee a look at Woodland Scenics set #A1902 Jug Band - Gess them folks'd feel rite at home!
    Yuh git a geetar playuh, a banjo playuh, a guy with a fiddle, an one with a jug, a washboarder and a fella with a one-string bass. YEEEEEEEE-HAW!
    Shortliner away up here in the land of the ceilidh!
    PeeEss If'n you wants a picashure cumon back!
  15. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Sweet:thumb:
  16. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

love it Tc :D :D
  17. pontiacsforever

pontiacsforever New Member

Stick some flanged wheels on it and it could hit the rails! :D
  18. TrainClown

TrainClown Member

A bit more progress to report. I finally got all the mullions in the windows. A slow tedious task for sure, but I am happy with the results.

[​IMG]

I got the frames for the roof put together, so I sat it all together for a mock-up pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I realized that to be a roadworthy machine, it needed mirrors. So last night I set to making some. They only have a base coat of rust on them and the green needs a touch up, that all will come to pass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last night I made the exaust system and put the roof on. I have to tar paper the roof before I can attach the exaust, but here is the bare roof.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next item on the wish list is the TV antena.

TrainClown :wave:
  19. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

That is just too cool...Fred Sanford meets Larry the Cable Guy:thumb:
  20. Wyomingite

Wyomingite Member

Trainclown, Thats just great, don't forget the smokepipe for the stove.
    Ron :thumb: :thumb: :wave:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.