Recomended valance height from layout top?

Racharg

Oct 24, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Hello All,

I've been relegated the least favourable environment for my layout, the Laundry Room (gasp) To make lemonade from lemons, I'd like to put some sort of valance and lighting above to help minimize dust accumilation. What height from the layout would you recomend? The layout is 46" from the floor, with structues and trees above that (in n)

Attachments

• valance_question.jpg
    valance_question.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 132

CN1

May 6, 2003
Tough question. What would you like:confused: ? Keep in mind this is your layout . Do it the way you'll like it.

I would keep in mind the following:

--Be able to see the entire layout well, without distractions

--Have access to any part of the layout without obstructions, like bumping into the valance

For me that would be at least a couple of feet, probably three. Are you planning to have a painted backdrop of somekind?

In the MR magazine of August 2003 there's a "how to" for ceiling valance. They don't specify the height but on the diagram the measurements are 16 inches from the ceiling to the base of the valance and another 8 inches for the drop panel (attached to the base of the valance at 45 degress). This drop panel is for corners and to hide the lights from view.

Hope this help

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
It's pretty high up (the layout) but I would say to give yourself at least enough clearance to comfortably lean over your layout to ... say ... pick up something that fell in a back corner, without fear of brushing your shirt against a tree in the front or hitting your head on the valance. If you really want to keep dust off, maybe put a removable curtain around it when not in use? (As if I know anything about this topic. :confused: )

F

Fred_M

I set my backdrop using the economic principle. I use blue matte board from Hobby Lobby and it's 32 inches wide. I cut it in half because I'm doing modules and need access from the back. So my backdrops are 16". I don't know if that's much help, but I guess what I'm saying is sometimes the materials and cost help me to decide how to do something. DASH10