I was intrigued by the idea of recoloring a previously designed model. It's a way to recognize and glorify a favorite design.... in my case, the Giraffe model that Canon has on their free papercraft section of their website. I'm going to recolor the model so that it looks like it were made of riveted sheet copper. A steampunk Giraffe if you will. Once I received the go-ahead from Canon, I downloaded and built the model. Went together real nice. In fact, it was a pleasure to assemble. Nice work. I thought that their solution for eliminating the potential frustration of the legs not being level was fantastic. The hooves are designed to allow the builder to slide them up or down the foreleg slightly till the giraffe stands firmly on all four hooves. A simple, yet effective solution. Before I glued on the giraffe's bum and rear legs, I measured the inside shape of the belly area and cut out the two sides of what will be a viewable access area to the steampunk giraffes inner workings. Using the built model as reference, I laid out another set of printed parts sheets and drew all over them. Basically laying out where the rivets will go and planning the access hatch. The copper... As you all well know, it's very difficult to create the illusion of metal through the medium of printed paper. I've got photographs of patinated copper, I've made scans of actual sheets of copper and I've tried my hand at creating copper textures in photoshop. It's interesting to note that the scanned images of actual copper sheet look the worst. In fact, I've determined that I will be better off painting fake copper than using an actual photograph of the stuff. Next, is the photoshop work. Building rivets, adding shadows and streaks to the copper...etc.