Recent Scratch Model

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Those are great pictures...Thanks. Is that commercial siding you used? It seems to be glued to a thicker "backer" sheet. Is that right..?? Also, I presume you used commercial castings for door and windows, as well.
I will freelance the design to fit my space and era, and I'm thinking of using a vertical "plank & batten" type of construction. I've done a bit of research and came across a photo that shows this type of construction. Hopefully I'll be able to pull it off.
Any hints and tips will be most welcome. :thumb:

CNJ999

Aug 21, 2004
Yes, Gus, the clapboard siding is commercial, by Northeastern Scale Lumber. Being more irregular and rough-looking than their standard clapboard, it goes by a special name but I don't have my Walthers catalog handy to look it up at the moment. The walls are only the thickness of the NE lumber siding, although I've rather substantially braced them inside with scale 12x12s.

Windows and doors are mostly modified Grant Line units, while the signage was all generated on my computer. The Andrews & Philips "painted-on" banner signs were done on tissue, so that they "melt" right into the clapboard siding when applied.

CNJ999

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
Very nice. It is the little details that make me say "wow!" The paint scheme is nice (aside from it be being Green Bay Packer like :mrgreen: I'm a Bears fan). The best part, to me, is the clock tower. I also love the HVAC piping.

That clock tower is sweet.

CNJ999

Aug 21, 2004
I am in absolute awe of that modelling and the skills of the person who did it, I couldn't even dream of modelling something that great. Wish I could find a great video of someone scratchbuilding a model. I have trouble with the Walthers modular system.

If you, or anyone else here, is seriously interested in learning how to do models of the sort I build, I can recommend a source of excellent instructional videos. While they aren't specifically aimed at "scratchbuilding" they do address construction of advanced craftsman kits, which are essentially scratchbuilding projects that come in a box. The only real difference from a scratchbuild is that the kit walls come cut to size, as well as the window and door openings being pre-cut. Beyond that, it's the same job.

Do a search for "Model Railroads by Scott Mason." He's a true master modeler and offers three how-to videos addressing structure construction that are very enlightening and worth every penny, especially if you've never tried your hand at this sort of modeling (I've got a couple of the videos, myself). Incidentally, he has a couple of videos on weathering, too.

CNJ999