Really bashed vehicles.

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by Dave Harris, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

Yes it was indeed the last year Ford made them. Believe it or not the Ford flathead continued in production for MANY years -- in FRANCE. They used them as tank engines till probably the late 70's. In fact among the hot rod fraternity there was recently a LOT of excitement about a large amount of NEW bare blocks being released by a surplus outfit. All the standard Ford parts fit them & they were being grabbed up as fast as they could be shipped.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/ Do a search for French flathead if you would like to read about them.

I don't remember exactly what the CID of the 53 was , but I ran many
    "3/8's X 3/8's" flat heads ( 296 CID) over the years. Had a few set up with ARDUN heads too ( Wish I had a set now!!)The biggest flathead I ever heard about was one built by some guy in Oregon--- He got one up to 354 CID!!! Mostly with a billet stroker crank -- I remember seeing pics of it -- the pan rails were ground out to about 1/8 inch wide to clear the crank!
  2. MadModeler

MadModeler Member

WOW!

These make my stuff look pathetic! Very well done.
  3. puddlejumper

puddlejumper Member

I was incorrect. The flathead was the same I think for it's entire production, what I was thinking about was the Mercury Flatty which had a 4" crank and hence more CID than the Ford, which I thought was only in 1953 but again, I was wrong and it seems it was bigger than the Ford for it's entire production.

It has been a while since I studied the flathead, I used to want on in a 1952 Ford truck, but a dream that was never realized...

Dave

BTW these cars look GREAT!!!:thumb::thumb: