real water feature

entity789

Hi all,

I'm just getting started on my on this whole train thing, but I would like to incorporate a water feature with actual running water (pond with waterfall and river/stream). Any recommendationd for products or designs?

Thanks

Jonathan

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Welcome Aboard Jonathan!! :D

You dont mention what scale you have, but I have G..
I "Borrowed" a Waterfall from the house :) It works good in G - but would be really "Big to scale" in HO or N....

Fountain004.jpg

SAL Comet

Ha Jonathan, Real water looks very "unrealistic" on a layout IMHO. because you can't scale down it's phyical properties,(the way it flows, splashes, waves etc.) The smaller the gauge, the worse the problem is. Also it's really hard to keep the water on the layout and out off the floor. One other danger of real water on the layout is illistrated in the picture Mikey posted, as you can see the waterfall has washed out a section of track in front of it. :eek:

entity789

I am planning on using HO, so yes, waterfalls probably would not scale realistically. perhaps just a pond with a slow moving river. I have a fountain that I never use, i never thought of scavanging it for parts for a pump. And yes, I would also hate to have an engine derail into the water, I don't think they're waterproof.

Thanks for the advice.

shaygetz

The "Wizard of Montery", John Allen used it on his legendary Gorre and Defeatid" and preferred it over artifitial materials. His biggest problem was humidity and its effect on the layout's trackwork and framing. I have an article on the Port Caribou Railway back in 1976 where the owner's layout featured a lake complete with sawmill and working car ferry. If you want I'll fish it out and email a copy to you.

entity789

Sure shaygetz, if it's not too much of a problem. I'll probably just use it for ideas as I am planning on a more modern, urban setting for my layout (assuming I can find any good modern building models).

Thanks

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
SAL Comet said:
Ha Jonathan, Real water looks very "unrealistic" on a layout IMHO. because you can't scale down it's phyical properties,(the way it flows, splashes, waves etc.) The smaller the gauge, the worse the problem is. Also it's really hard to keep the water on the layout and out off the floor. One other danger of real water on the layout is illistrated in the picture Mikey posted, as you can see the waterfall has washed out a section of track in front of it. :eek:

ROFL!! :D :D but you will notice - I snuck in The Gauge crate in the bottom Left corner!! :D :D