Real retracking

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
Not very prototypical tie spacing!

Are they going to count on those rods (bolts?) going down into the ground, and/or encasing the whole thing in concrete to maintain gauge?

Bill S

(By the way, we had a ball riding the street cars in Prague last month)

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Hi Bill, The boys have a long way to go before the concrete is poured:) .
The track is pre-welded in long lengths the "bolts" in the subconcrete are the latest design for reducing tremers through the road bed and reducing noise.
The biggest problem is the concrete cracking and water seeping in and down to the root, heavy traffic does a big number on it, without 20 ton + of streetcar rumbling along.
Anyway it has to be supported with bolted cross-irons and then sealed with concrete.:D

Glad you injoyed the Trams in Prague.
Have you done Boston Trams or Toronto yet??

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Brings back memories. I used to catch the streetcar at Dufferin and St. Clair and ride to Yonge st. then transfer to the subway for the rest of the trip downtown. Times we were delayed because of relaying track or other track maintenace . What's worse is trying to drive in TO when this kind of work is going on just where you want to go. As a kid I rode double deck trams in Johannesburg South Africa

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
Hi Chris,

Boston, yes --- many years ago.
Never been to Toronto. (My loss. I understand it's a great city. In spite of what the World Health Organization says.)
Of course I spent my (otherwise misspent) youth riding Pacific Electric cars, and even had a few rides on the old Santa Monica Blvd narrow-gauge yellow cars in Los Angeles.

Bill S

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
That is just what I used to ride on Chris. Those platfoms in the middle of the road and all. Always have to be on your toes driving past these streetcars because of passengers getting on and off.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Great shots, Chris, we're getting your moneys worth out of our new cam :D :D :D

We used to have a freight line running right down the middle of a standard width road, right downtown. Ran right by the courthouse. If there were cars parked along the side, which it was open parking, there was not room for your car between the parked cars and the train. :eek: A great way to hone parallel parking skills! You learn fast or find out if you picked the right religeon. Amtrak ran there too, but only one stop downtown, so pedestrians weren't a problem.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
new tracks

Chris:
I was downtown today in my NG95 mask ;) and had a look at King Street. I noticed that the new rail is NOT girder rail, just T rail. (Girder rail is the stuff with molded in flangeway.) They are putting rubber pieces on the sides of the rails before they pour concrete.
The Kingston Road tripper has an interesting routing. It can't make its usual turn onto King, so continued north to Queen. It can't turn at Adelaide because, although there are 6 curves in the specialwork there, due to the two one-way streets, only one curve is legal and it's not the one they need! Also saw that one of the frogs at York & Adelaide has been replaced with a straight rail. The full overhead is still in place, but some of the unused curves have some rather odd bends and sags.
Rant: Since all those streets have been one-way as far back as I can remember (over 30 years, maybe 35), why have they maintained the double track and the overhead? Especially, why have they redone the double track in concrete? And when they have removed some of the illegal switches! (Illegal=wrong way on one-way street)

Nice shot of the ex-Kansas City car. Always liked the high windows.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Chris,
Very nice to see some Street Cars, we had the Trolley Bus where I lived as a kid, always found it interesting to ride one.
Shamus
waver.gif

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Hi David glad you had a nice streetcar ride.
I think the reason why track and overhead are still maintaned on "illegal" one way streets is, once its removed they lose the right of way. In the event that roads are redesignated the rail is ready for use. We also reverse the odd car into a one way in emergancy situations.