s09a1-500.jpg

101_1899.jpg

lights3.sized.jpg

060211-4.jpg

bo1463.jpg

CIMG1013.sized.jpg

3-maintenance-trains.jpg

41.jpg

Which are real and fake in the above 10?

At this science museum there is an elaborate model railway depicting the line connecting Chicago, IL to Seattle, WA.
Take a look here:
Chicago
trains11.jpg

trains14.jpg

If you like the pics above, check out more here! :)
Chicago

chessie4155

I agree, 7 & 9 are real. The Chicago exhibit sure has changed since I was up there...but that was 27 years ago..:eek:

CCT70

7, 9 & 10 are real. Had to look three times at 10 to draw that conclusion though.

Regardless, the model photos are pretty convincing and VERY stunning.

Well i have to say. #4 and #7 Are the two most real looking pic's to me.
And if they are model pic's they are some good ones.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Beautiful models that look so real! #7 is real but I have to admit I thought about #4 for a while. The color photo of the vintage cars suggests its a model as does tjhe oversize monument on the right of the building. Otherwise at first glance it'll fool ya! #10 I can imagine being a model...maybe with a miirror increasing the effect of overall size? The fork lift driver looks like a little plastic figure to me.
Ralph

Triplex

Before reading any of your responses, I would have said 7 and 9 are real. I still stick with that.

The outdoor lighting, as usual, really helps create realism in several of the shots. 2 is the most obviously a model. Several are proved as models by the figures - model people never look convincing at all. With 3, the proof is in the wood: these are too obviously tiny pieces of wood. Wood grain, like waves in water, doesn't scale down. There's nothing about 7 that would mislead me into thinking it's a model. The trees, flowers, track, roadbed - all real. some of these might be duplicatable, but the lighting on the loco is a type I've often seen in photos of the prototype and never on a model. 9 shows its reality in the boxes and carts, but I was already suspecting it because it's not a typically modelled scene.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
i agree 7&9 are real,you just cant duplicate lighting,people,and grain in scale.but none the less incredible modeling skills!--josh

ezdays

Out AZ way
There is some fantastic modeling there. As others have said, the figures give away a lot of what are the models. A clear colored shot of something that dates back to the 1920's, like in #1 is a giveaway that it is a model. Plus, they would never string electrical wires that tight. #2 and 3 are betrayed by the plastic-looking figures. #4, the figures look very real, but I'm still a bit skeptical about the color photo of that era. #5, the bus sign gives that away for sure. #6 could only be real if that was a full-sized lady mannequin standing there. #7 looks about as real as it can be, lots of detail but there's one tree there that really looks suspicious. As for #8, I've never seen barrels that have wooden bands that match the barrel staves, not in real life anyway. #9 is an indoor scene with a fully covered roof. Very difficult to do in scale and very impractical for a layout, yet there is enough crazy people in this hobby that someone might do it just for the challenge. #10 looks enough like a model that you would want to call it real, but I think the sign is a giveaway there.

I'm going out on a limb and saying that they are all models. None of them are real in the full-scale sense, but are indeed real in the modeling sense.

CNJ999

7, 9, and 10 are photos of real locations. The rest are clearly good photos of models. Want to know the tip-offs?

CNJ999

chessie4155

After a second and third look , I change my vote, #7 is the only real one. It is in the collection of John Rust, it is the B&Os "Metropolitan" taken in 1969.. All the rest are some very excellent modeling.

COMBAT

So..... want to know what is real and what is not?

The pictures below are all real. Dont believe it?

The link to where they are from is included. Take a look at how what you may have thought was not real is in fact, REAL! :)

Thanks for playing!

#7 REAL
SD45.com Railroad Photography
bo1463.jpg

#9 REAL
Railway Technology - NedTrain - Rail Vehicle and Rolling Stock Maintenance and Overhaul Services
3-maintenance-trains.jpg

#10 REAL
Read why how the picture you thought was not real is in fact real. The orginal picture is below the "model looking" picture.
PhotographyJam - the photographer's resource: The Tilt-Shift Miniature Fake Technique in Photoshop CS: A Simple How-To
41.jpg

ORGINAL PICTURE:
32.jpg

THANKS AGAIN FOR PLAYING! :wave: