Real or Fake?

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by COMBAT, Jun 8, 2007.

1. COMBAT

COMBAT Member

OK, with out cheating!!!!!!

Are these real, or a model?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Which are real and fake in the above 10?

At this science museum there is an elaborate model railway depicting the line connecting Chicago, IL to Seattle, WA.
    Take a look here:
    Chicago
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you like the pics above, check out more here! :)
    Chicago
  2. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

All are models, with the exception of #7 and #9.
  3. chessie4155

chessie4155 Active Member

I agree, 7 & 9 are real. The Chicago exhibit sure has changed since I was up there...but that was 27 years ago..:eek:
  4. nachoman

nachoman Guest

some EXCELLENT models, though!

Kevin
  5. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

I agree with the 7 and 9 theory. Regardless, those are some fantastic modeling skills.
  6. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Seven was fairly easy,but nine? I had to go back and look a second time. Some great modeling.
  7. COMBAT

COMBAT Member

LOL..... I had to throw a few easy ones in there. The real question is, are you SURE 9 is real? :)
  8. CCT70

CCT70 Member

7, 9 & 10 are real. Had to look three times at 10 to draw that conclusion though.

Regardless, the model photos are pretty convincing and VERY stunning.
  9. COMBAT

COMBAT Member

Hmmm now a number 10...... Anyone else want to guess??? :)
  10. who_dat73

who_dat73 Member

7 is the only Real photo in the group but they are all beutifull
  11. trainnut65

trainnut65 Member

Well i have to say. #4 and #7 Are the two most real looking pic's to me.
    And if they are model pic's they are some good ones.
  12. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Beautiful models that look so real! #7 is real but I have to admit I thought about #4 for a while. The color photo of the vintage cars suggests its a model as does tjhe oversize monument on the right of the building. Otherwise at first glance it'll fool ya! #10 I can imagine being a model...maybe with a miirror increasing the effect of overall size? The fork lift driver looks like a little plastic figure to me.
    Ralph
  13. FiatFan

FiatFan Member

4, 7, and 9 are real. The others are masterful jobs of modeling.

Tom
  14. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Only #7 is real: the rest are models, but very well done. :thumb:

Wayne
  15. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

Before reading any of your responses, I would have said 7 and 9 are real. I still stick with that.

The outdoor lighting, as usual, really helps create realism in several of the shots. 2 is the most obviously a model. Several are proved as models by the figures - model people never look convincing at all. With 3, the proof is in the wood: these are too obviously tiny pieces of wood. Wood grain, like waves in water, doesn't scale down. There's nothing about 7 that would mislead me into thinking it's a model. The trees, flowers, track, roadbed - all real. some of these might be duplicatable, but the lighting on the loco is a type I've often seen in photos of the prototype and never on a model. 9 shows its reality in the boxes and carts, but I was already suspecting it because it's not a typically modelled scene.
  16. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

i agree 7&9 are real,you just cant duplicate lighting,people,and grain in scale.but none the less incredible modeling skills!--josh
  17. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

There is some fantastic modeling there. As others have said, the figures give away a lot of what are the models. A clear colored shot of something that dates back to the 1920's, like in #1 is a giveaway that it is a model. Plus, they would never string electrical wires that tight. #2 and 3 are betrayed by the plastic-looking figures. #4, the figures look very real, but I'm still a bit skeptical about the color photo of that era. #5, the bus sign gives that away for sure. #6 could only be real if that was a full-sized lady mannequin standing there. #7 looks about as real as it can be, lots of detail but there's one tree there that really looks suspicious. As for #8, I've never seen barrels that have wooden bands that match the barrel staves, not in real life anyway. #9 is an indoor scene with a fully covered roof. Very difficult to do in scale and very impractical for a layout, yet there is enough crazy people in this hobby that someone might do it just for the challenge. #10 looks enough like a model that you would want to call it real, but I think the sign is a giveaway there.

I'm going out on a limb and saying that they are all models. None of them are real in the full-scale sense, but are indeed real in the modeling sense.
  18. CNJ999

CNJ999 Member

7, 9, and 10 are photos of real locations. The rest are clearly good photos of models. Want to know the tip-offs?

CNJ999
  19. chessie4155

chessie4155 Active Member

After a second and third look , I change my vote, #7 is the only real one. It is in the collection of John Rust, it is the B&Os "Metropolitan" taken in 1969.. All the rest are some very excellent modeling.
  20. COMBAT

COMBAT Member

So..... want to know what is real and what is not?

The pictures below are all real. Dont believe it?

The link to where they are from is included. Take a look at how what you may have thought was not real is in fact, REAL! :)

Thanks for playing!

#7 REAL
    SD45.com Railroad Photography
    [​IMG]

#9 REAL
    Railway Technology - NedTrain - Rail Vehicle and Rolling Stock Maintenance and Overhaul Services
    [​IMG]

#10 REAL
    Read why how the picture you thought was not real is in fact real. The orginal picture is below the "model looking" picture.
    PhotographyJam - the photographer's resource: The Tilt-Shift Miniature Fake Technique in Photoshop CS: A Simple How-To
    [​IMG]
    ORGINAL PICTURE:
    [​IMG]

THANKS AGAIN FOR PLAYING! :wave: