Reading_RS3_034a.jpg

Athearn Custom LNE 40’ Boxcar
Reading_RS3_035a.jpg

Accurail B&O 40’ Boxcar
Reading_RS3_036a.jpg

Mantua Reading Caboose
Reading_RS3_037a.jpg

RailRon

Great weathering again! And I love the trackside landscape - those rock outcroppings are just fabulous!

But please tell your LPB conductor, at least the caboose could use a little bit of water. I tink that MY LPBs flatly would refuse to work in such a run-down, dirty crummy! :D:D:D

Ron

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Another great roll by at what could be a new favorite spot to watch 'em go by! Love the
RS-3s!
Ralph

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Thanks everyone!

MilesWestern said:
Tom, how'd you create that road dust effect on your RS-3's? I'd love to know! :)

I applied a wash made of Folk Art Charcoal Gray thinned with blue windsheild washer fluid (1:5). I then lightly airbrushed the following colors onto the lower part of the locos:
1.) Charcoal Gray
2.) Raw Umber
3.) Raw Sienna

I then sealed them with Dullcoat.

cnw1961

That’s a nice roll by. I especially like the engines (beautiful weathering :thumb: ) and the covered hoppers. But best of all is the spot you took the photos of. Even though (or just because) it is quite "empty", it’s awesome.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Relic

Might I offer a critique? "glass" in the van windows would add a bit imo.I used a cd case. I feel bad criticizeing such beautiful work when I can't even spell it.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Thanks everyone!

Relic said:
Might I offer a critique? "glass" in the van windows would add a bit imo.I used a cd case. I feel bad criticizeing such beautiful work when I can't even spell it.

Arrghh!!! I do not consider it a bad thing. I have been in the process of adding "glass" to my cabooses for a while now. I have two Athearn Blue boxes to go (or so I thought). I completely forgort about this one and another Reading Mantua.wall1

steamhead

I didn't want to mention it, but...I use the transparent plastic that comes with most kits and lightly bluff it with steel wool to get the sheen off, so you don't get the glassy sheen and you can't see inside, which in most cases is just empty, unpainted space (in the case of my wooden cabeese). I put the buffed side out.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Thanks folks!

cn nutbar said:
hi tom---the backdrop is excellent---is that a photo ????

THe backdrop is part of the "mountain" I have been working on.
mountain_w_002a.jpg

The blue is two peices of foam board painted blue and being held up by various objects so that it blocks out the rest of the basement.