RCMP Question

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I'm trying to make a Royal Canadian Mounted Police figure for the layout (set in the late 50's). I have a preiser figure of a US highway patrolman that I'm thinking of using. (at least he has the hat!)
28073263042690.gif

It's unpainted and looks like the one 2nd from the right. Except that my figure has long sleeves. I'm only wondering if the standard uniform was the riding boots and breaches of were those just for dress uniforms? Does anyone have a picture of an RCMP officer in a rural setting during this time period?

farmer ron

Jan 18, 2002
B.C., canada
Visit site
Had to wear the breaches and boots, long sleve tan shirt with blue tie, brown serge (not the red one) with a brown gun belt that had the shoulder strap, the gun belt had a flap that covered the gun. The hat is very similar to the one that is worn now. Will have to dig up a pic for you...Ron..

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
A few years ago, the king of Romania (or the fellow that thinks he should be king) was touring Canada, and commented that he hadn't seen any RCMP officers, even though they were guarding his meetings. They were all in less conspicuous uniforms. Needless to say, from that point on there were always a couple of RCMP in full dress at the meetings.

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Good point, Tony, and a valid one. Personally I haven't seen an RCMP officer for some time, as we have our own police force here in the city. But that is definitely only their dress uniform now, that much I know.

(( in the 50's, though, I have no idea ))

Alan B

Jul 13, 2004
The RCMP constables only wear the red tunic for dress duties. Even in the 1950s, they wore a khaki shirt and tie, with blue trousers that had a yellow stripe. During the 1950s, the belt equipment would have been minimal, a hand gun and handcuffs. The RCMP even has a peaked cap that they wear in lieu of the campaign style hat. If you look in an old edition of the World Book Encyclopedia I think you can find some color photos taken in the 1950s of the RCMP.

HTH
Alan

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Thanks for all the help. I'm not going to build a dress uniform mountie, but am looking for the daily uniform.
Will: I'll check that web site tomorrow. It'll probably help alot.