Rare drive mechanism

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
You guys ever see a drive unit like this? Yes, that's an open frame motor you see. The chassis frame is two pieces, upper and lower, the drive line is somewhat like Athearn, with metal gears.

oldbach1.jpg

Believe it or not, this is the chassis of a thirty year old Bachmann that I recently converted to DCC. It was made in Germany in the 70's and I've seen very few like it.

stuart_canada

Feb 12, 2005
looks like an older bachmann drive from the early to late 70s, before the pancake motor, noisy and not a great drive system, i have one of them in a gp 40 or gp 30

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
That's what this is in is a GP40, and you're right, it is noisy. I'm thinking about removing the open frame motor (which looks like a Mehano motor the more I look at it) and replacing it with a can motor, maybe a Mashima motor.

Jan 15, 2007
Seattle, Washington
jeffrey-wimberl said:
The result of a very cheap camera.

Ouch.

Hmm...I kind of like the look of the engine itself, glad you're not going to just toss it out entirely. I dunno about the manufacturer, but I would go with the cam motor instead of the open frame one any old time.

stuart_canada

Feb 12, 2005
the lack of detail and other problems with the shell, i am not sure it is worth the price of re motoring and putting in new grears ( the trucks are also nosiy in mine) , after all that cost and hard work i think you might be better off to park that monster, fire breathing unit on a siding and let nature take it course. ( I have mine all painted in white primer and it seats on a sliding most days when the leasing company does not need the extra horse power to break down)
Take the extra money and put it into a new repalcement GP 40 and start with something good

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
I decided it was time to remotor this beast. I had planned on using a Mashima motor but couldn't find one in my parts box. I did however find a PPW motor that I had gotten to remotor a 4 axle switcher, which I never got around to doing. Removing the old open frame motor was easy enough. It was getting the can motor to go in that was the tough part. It took a little grinding, a little coaxing, some kind words and some glue to get it place, but it's done. It's a shotgun wedding if ever there was one, but it's a 300% improvement. The locomotive used to hitch (jerk) when going from low speed to high speed. No longer. Now it's a smooth acceleration from low speed to high speed. And it's much quiter. Before it sounded like a small pepper mill. Now it's almost silent.

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
Good deal! I know some folks snub their noses at some of the older Bachmann and Tyco stuff, but I have some of it that I'm not willing to part with. My take on it is "I like her, so I'll keep her". My Tyco 0-4-0 looks kinda funny running around with brass GP-20's and Atlas GP-40's, but hey, I enjoy it and that's what matters.

Besides, I've seen some real silk purses made from some pretty old, troublesome engines. All it takes is some details and some imagination.

Now, back to rebuilding that fleet of Tyco flat cars...

Jan 15, 2007
Seattle, Washington
You have almost the same transformer that I do! sign1

Nice. Now I see the open frame and all that; it looks a bit odd, but nothing a little extra plastic (maybe cut up an old shell?) would fix.

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
I use that for running my switch machines. For regular DC I use a Tech4 MRC280 dual controller and for DCC I use a Bachmann EZ Command system. When you don't have much, you make do with what you have/